Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a dropped connection?

dougrice
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: What is a dropped connection?

flicker,
Do you ever hear any crackle on the phone line, that sounds like its due to a faulty joint?
Do you hear any hiss on the phone line, when you make a call? 
I used to be able to hear the ADSL modem re-train. It sounds a bit like dial-upmodem buzz working through a sequence.
Does the new filter you have have four wires on the plug? These extend the bell wire, unfiltered. However, you house wiring has been disconnected.
My solwise filters and original 512K ADSL used to be very noisy,especially with a dect phone, off hook. 
My line is crystal clear now.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I'm still using the same filters as the ones I bought for 512kbits broadband. My modem now syncs at about 7600kbits and I can use my landline phone to describe any faults I get to helpdesk staff (should it ever be necessary) whilst sitting in front of my PC.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

flicker
Grafter

Ok, firstly, I don't get any hissing or crackling on the phone that I'm aware of.  Secondly, I do still have filters, 4 of them in fact, so I tried every one last night, phoned myself using my mobile, and as soon as I "answered" my landline, I saw the ADSL light start to flash on my DLink, then it went out completely for about 2 minutes, then it comes back on flashing before it steadies.  When I do it the opposite way ie, ring from my landline to my mobile, it is ok.  So it's only answering incoming calls that causes it.  This is the second router I've had, I bought another one because we thought the fault was because of the original one I had, so I don't want to blame the DLink. 
So, do you think it's worth raising a fault with PN or just forget it?  Huh
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Hmmmm quite strange that it happens only one-way. When you take an incoming call and it disconnects, how long after you finish your call does it take to re-establish a connection? And when it's trying to establish a connection, if you lift the handset does it make a noise (sounds kinda likea  56k modem dialling in).
Sorry if you've already mentioned this in the thread, but just for clarification Smiley
flicker
Grafter

The router re-boots whilst I'm still on the call, it just disconnects for about 2 minutes in total, so it's only the act of actually answering the call that disconnects me from broadband.  During this time, I haven't mentioned before, but it still shows that I'm connected on my laptop, it doesn't change anything on here, the little computer screens in the bottom right corner of the screen don't show I've lost connection.  It would be more of a problem if there were two people in the house, one on the pc and one using the phone, it would be a nightmare actually, but of course, that doesn't arise here.  I use a phone that you can walk around with, you know, with a base station, so am not actually "picking up" a receiver, but pressing a button to answer.  But I have tried it with ordinary one-piece phones, and it still does the same thing, I actually took a BT phone back because I thought that was causing the problem.  In total I have 4 one piece phones, and two of the other type, but all of them have the same end result. I always keep normal phones handy in case we have a power cut because of course you can't use the other type without electricity. 
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I'd raise a fault with PlusNet and see where they can take it. Seems a very strange situation to me!
Hope you can get it sorted out Smiley
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: flicker
The router re-boots whilst I'm still on the call, it just disconnects for about 2 minutes in total, so it's only the act of actually answering the call that disconnects me from broadband. 

Ring wire?
B.
flicker
Grafter

OK thanks for new help.  I came back on because I've just tried another test - no phone plugged in at all, (so nothing ringing in the house, no phone to answer) and IT STILL DISCONNECTED when I rang my number using my mobile!  So now, it is losing the ADSL even ringing the number, which I don't think it was before.  So it must surely be a fault on my line, or the socket.
I do still have my old Edimax router, so I'll have a go with that plugged in, but I don't think that will make a difference, as it was thought that was faulty in the first place, why I got another one.  Oh and while I think of it, I also have a USB broadband modem, for using when we have power cuts (which happen fairly often, means I can still get online for a couple of hours until the laptop battery goes flat....  Roll_eyes  ) and that also drops the connection, I know that from before without getting that out again.
Oh and btw, I am a she not a he, not that it's important...  Smiley
flicker
Grafter

Update on this if anyone is interested, I've now raised it as a fault with support and am waiting on a response.  I did the broadband fault tester thingy last night, and as anticipated, nothing was found.  I've just done some more tests myself, including using my old Edimax router, different cables, and the best of all (I think) I turned off all the electric in my house, used laptop on battery and usb modem, nothing else plugged in at all, phoned my landline with my mobile, and it immediately cut off the broadband, so hopefully that eliminates an electrical fault here. 
dougrice
Rising Star

Flicker,
I was going to ask if the problem was at the start of ringing or when you answered, but I think you just answered the question. I will ask anyway.
If you ring your line with the mobile does your modem reboot when ringing started?
Does the modem hold up during ringing and only reboot when you answer the phone line? Let it ring for a minute or two before answering. When does it disconnect? Is it repeatable?
The answers may be of interest to BT.
Ringing applies a big voltage. It appears to be trashing the ADSL signal.
Ringing does not affect my line or ADSL signal.
dougrice
Rising Star

Does it reboot with only the modem connected, when you ring your line with the mobile?
flicker
Grafter

I have BT 1571 answer enabled on my landline, so I have only been letting it ring a maximum of about 6 times before hanging up, else the answerphone will come in.  The ADSL light flashes as soon as my mobile makes a connection and starts to ring.  The modem re-connects within a couple of minutes and the light stabilises.  I'm pretty sure the same thing happens when I actually receive a call normally though which I answer, I lose the ADSL on my laptop, but then I would not normally carry on browsing anyway.  To be honest the reason I noticed this fault is because I do online quizzes, which rely on speed, 15 questions as quick as possible.  The other morning I was halfway down a list of questions when someone rang me, and it disconnected me instantly, which meant by the time it rebooted itself, it took me about 212 seconds to complete instead of around 50 seconds.  Roll_eyes  But previously to that, I was losing connection when chatting in conference to friends on Yahoo messenger which was very annoying as you have to wait to reconnect and then be re-invited back in. 
Hope this helps, not sure if it's answered what you wanted to know though.  Cheesy