Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What info does IP address reveal?

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

What info does IP address reveal?

In the process of checking where the originator of nuisance emails was from, I noticed that the geographic location of my own IP address, which is normally displayed on the front page of an IP address checking site, seems to vary according to which site is used. I've Googled and used ten sites, and the results show that I am located in Sheffield (of course) about 50%, Middle Tysoe Warwickshire about 25%, Swindon about 15%, and the City of London, none of which is correct.
Anyone know why it should show such a wide variation in results? Is it possible to actually find my home address from the IP address or does PN somehow mask this level of info?
13 REPLIES 13
itsme
Grafter

Re: What info does IP address reveal?

With my static IP address you can find my name and address. A rDNs will reveal my domain and a domain lookup will give my name and address.
With a dynamic IP very little can be gained without requesting the information from the ISP.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

No - they can't find out your address without the connivance of Plusnet.
Plusnet bought a big block of ip addresses, and they put some arbitrary geographical address.
When you make your connection to Plusnet you are allocated one of these ip addresses.
If you connection was left permanently connected, you would retain the same address for days at a time.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

I've got a static address, but I take it that from what you are saying it still allocates a "fuzzy" geographic location? These checks I did were within ten minutes of each other with no change of connection, but how could the apparent locations be so different?
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: nozzer
how could the apparent locations be so different?

I assume when you recheck on a single website you keep getting the same result,  but it differs between sites.
This is primarily because they don't know,  and are trying to make a guess.
I've also got a static IP,  but all the information points back to Plusnet and I cannot be identified from it.
My .me.uk domain, does contain my name  but not my address.
The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their address omitted from the WHOIS service.

and if your interested,    http://network-tools.com is a handy site this type of thing.
VileReynard
Hero

The BBC iPlayer does an ip address lookup to make sure you have a UK home address.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

[me=jelv]is reminded that after he moved he hasn't updated his domain registrations with the new address![/me]
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DougMa
Grafter

Location providers mine all kinds of sources to establish links between IP addresses and physical locations.
For example, if you use Google Maps on an Android or iOS device you provide data to Google that includes your location and your external IP address (as seen when the device connects to Google).  Through "crowd sourcing" the data collected, Google builds up a detailed mapping of physical location to IP addresses.  And this use is permitted by Google's privacy policy (which you implicitly accept when using Google's services):
Location information
When you use a location-enabled Google service, we may collect and process information about your actual location, like GPS signals sent by a mobile device. We may also use various technologies to determine location, such as sensor data from your device that may, for example, provide information on nearby Wi-Fi access points and cell towers.
When you use our services or view content provided by Google, we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This may include:
details of how you used our service, such as your search queries.
telephony log information like your phone number, calling-party number, forwarding numbers, time and date of calls, duration of calls, SMS routing information and types of calls.
Internet protocol address.
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: itsme
With my static IP address you can find my name and address. A rDNs will reveal my domain and a domain lookup will give my name and address.

Well I don't know your IP address, but I'm assuming itsme.co.uk is your domain. Your address is not given.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Oh....I can find one Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
VileReynard
Hero

There's rather a lot of guitar sites, strat,

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Isn't there just Cool
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Estragon
Quote from: itsme

Well I don't know your IP address, but I'm assuming itsme.co.uk is your domain. Your address is not given.

So you don't believe what I stated was true and try to prove me wrong  Shocked Hope you are not in the police force as your assumption is completely wrong itsme.co.uk has nothing to do with me.
VileReynard
Hero

IP Location: United Kingdom United Kingdom Sheffield Plusnet Plc
ASN: AS6871
Resolve Host: host01.just-the-name.co.uk
IP Address: 213.162.97.162 [Whois] [Reverse-Ip] [Ping] [DNS Lookup] [Traceroute]
Reverse IP: 3,782 websites use this address. (examples: garytubb.com 104tape.com 1500to1.com 1880restaurant.co.uk)

Is that right?