cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What hardware do I get when moving to fibre?

tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: What hardware do I get when moving to fibre?

It really is a cracking router for the money
NatTheGooner
Grafter

Quote from: Conor1978
Following on from my earlier posts about the poor Technicolour TG582n router from PN, I got the Asus RT-N56U (good price and service from Amazon), plugged it in and now getting wireless over 70Mbps and full signal throughout the building - even in places the Technicolour was giving me 1 or 2 bars.

I see that there is a new v3 Modem/Router being trialled by a few people so maybe I should hang on until Plusnet start supplying this one, but then that could be months away. Thing is, I want a combined Modem/Router but the Vigor one is £190 and that's too steep.
What's Virgins Super hub like?
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

The Virgin Superhubs are for their Cable service.
I believe Virgin ship the original Superhub to 30mb customers.  The wifi is very poor on this model.  Most knowledgeable users change the superhub to modem mode, and then go out and buy a decent cable router to connect to it.  Even the Dlink DIR-615 router which Virgin used to supply, which you can pick up for a few quid 2nd hand on eBay, works far better.
The recently launched Superhub2 is supplied to 60mb and faster speed cable customers.  From what I've read, the simultaneous dual band wifi is great.  I think there may be some teething problems with the first release firmware which I'm sure will be resolved over time with updates.  Otherwise, it is back to 'modem mode' and buying your own router to use with it.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The superhub has co axial connection as the virgin cable connects straight into it. So not suitable for ISPs other than VM
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
NatTheGooner
Grafter

I forgot that cable is a bit different to fibre.
Is the new Technicolour v3 modem/router available to buy anywhere or does it have to come from Plusnet?
dick:quote
NatTheGooner
Grafter

...just found it - its £57!
so thats a modem and router in one that will work with Plusnet fibre.
If thats the case then I'll go for that one when my exchange is switched to fibre on in two weeks.
also just realised that its ADSL too, so I could get it now and get it set up.
If someone could confirm this I'll order it today.
thanks for everyone's help
Nat
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You may want to be aware that Technicolor don't provide any support or firmware updates to end users, and there's no guarantee you'd be able to install Plusnet firmware on a router not supplied by Plusnet.
NatTheGooner
Grafter

aargh! no firmware updates!
Undecided
dick:quote
st1967
Grafter

Quote from: NatTheGooner

I'd prefer to get the Vigor all in one Modem/router but at £190 its a bit too steep.

Unless space is a premium there is no real need to have an all in one?  I too love the Draytek Vigors and have a cheaper 2830n (Single Band Model) which is a little more business orientated but it's a cracking router.  OK it's still double the price of the Asus and TP-Link cable routers but I want to be able to do more with the router as I work from home.
Note if you do upgrade to fibre and use the Vigor modem and also use Bittorrent you will need to increase the DOS UDP Flood threshold to upwards of 1000 packets/sec because it starts to block DNS lookup if you don't.  Scratched my head for a week or so with that one, when I originally thought a reboot was the only cure.  However further research (google  :-[) pointed me in the UDP Flood direction and its been perfect since.