Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if I switch to fibre ?

bpascua
Grafter
Fixes: 2

What happens if I switch to fibre ?

Hello Guys,

I have been with plusnet on ADSL since about  5 months now. I have problems with my wifi all the time, I am using a plusnet hub one (not the hub zero or whatever its called) I have a WD NAS box which is directly connected to my router but since moving to plusnet is now almost too slow to use. I can no longer stream from the NAS to my  TVs - I did this for years with SKY before switching. Anyway - I was wondering if swapping to fibre might help things as it would mean a different router. But when I went to move I was given a "upgrade to a hub one as you need it for fibre" - so does this mean I will get the same router I am currently using? or one with a fibre port?   also will someone need to run a Fibre cable into my house?

thanks

Brian

12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: What happens if I switch to fibre ?

Plusnet fibre is fibre to the cabinet so it uses the same cabling into your house. It is also the same router that is used.

Before thinking about fibre it might be worth finding out if your ADSL connection is working correctly. What speed were you promised when you joined Plusnet? Also what speed do you get if connected to your router via an Ethernet cable?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Brian,

Sorry to see you're having issues.

If you switch to fibre and as you've said you're using the Hub One which is the router we'd send out for a fibre service, it's unlikely anything will change with regards to the wireless signal within your home.

The type of fibre we offer is fibre to the cabinet (the green box in the road), for your line it's still really fast as you'd be able to achieve a speed of between 73mbps and 80mbps.

It's probably worth connecting a laptop/PC directly into the router using a network cable for a day or so, that way it'll narrow down where the issue lies and you'd be able to figure out if the problem is just related to the WiFi or otherwise.

Are you also sure you've got the Hub One because from what I can see we've only ever sent out a Hub Zero, although it's possible you could've purchased a second hand one from eBay. 

If you've not tried this already assuming the issue is just with the wireless connectivity I'd give these steps a go: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The OP says they have difficulty streaming from their NAS to their TVs.

The type of internet connection is irrelevant.

Following the WiFi guide linked by @Gandalf is the place to start.

bpascua
Grafter

Hello,

You are right I got hold of a new Plusnet Hub One router, the original zero was unusable in my environment. I have mixed issues, I cant seem to run a stable webex without severe interference (when I am right next to the router) when I connect I get 12- 17Mb/s - which is great. The NAS thing is an annoyance - it may be nothing to do with Plusnet but it was the only thing I changed...

Thanks for the info

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us Brian,

It's probably worth changing the wireless channels if you've not already and also have you tried desyncing the 5GHz frequency away from the 2.4GHz one? Steps on how to carry this out can be found Here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bpascua
Grafter

Hello,

I already run separate 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz networks on the router - My apple stuff I tend to keep on the 5GHz networks although I find more often than not the 5Ghz network isn't visible unless I am stood next to the router - so my devices will default to the regular 2.5Ghz network. I have forced a channel change to see if that helps (and taken off the smart channel option to stop it flipping about)

thanks

Brian

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @bpascua 

The 5Ghz frequency does not have as wide a range as the 2.4Ghz - so you may notice devices changing to the latter as you move further away from the Hub. 

I have forced a channel change to see if that helps (and taken off the smart channel option to stop it flipping about)

Please give this about 24 hours to get an accurate representation of the connection on a fresh channel, then update us accordingly. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

bpascua
Grafter

Hello Guys,

Just getting back to this now. I ran a speed test having changed the channel to 6 which has nothing else on it. I am connected with 3 bars (max) to the router and I get a ping of 318ms and a 13Mb/s download speed - which I am happy with. In all honesty its not performance I struggle with its devices connecting....I often look at my phone and see it on 4G instead of the WIFI.

My Mybooklive NAS drive continues to cause headaches with speed. I transfered a 2 G file from the NAS over wifi and it took an hour. If I plus an ethernet cable into the router it took 3 minutes. Whatever is going on transfering files to my laptop is also causing problems on both my TVs as I can no longer stream to them using the Twonky Media server built into the NAS - breaks up and you get delays etc. Not wishing to sound like a broken record but are there any settings on the router to help this? it worked for years on SKY.....unless my NAS is broken of course..

thanks

Brian

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @bpascua,

Apart from the suggestions that has already been advised, try and switch off the 5GHz band and see if that improves things.

1.Please open an internet browser and navigate to the address '192.168.1.254' by typing it into the address bar.
2. You should be greeted by the router's main menu page (saying Plusnet Hub One at the top left). On this screen please click 'Advanced settings' from the four main options at the top of the screen.
3. Choose 5GHz tab.
4. Change 'Wireless network enable' to No.
5. Save the changes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
bpascua
Grafter

Hello,

Oddly I initially split the bands and put the IOS devices onto the 5GHz band as they seemed to be quicker to join than on the 2Ghz one. However I turned the 5Ghz band OFF completely and I will monitor. Initially it does seem much faster doing a network copy. I will monitor.

thank you

Brian

bpascua
Grafter

So it looks like turning off the 5Ghz network has made a MASSIVE difference. I am now able to stream to my TV's which is great news. Thanks for all those who helped with various suggestions.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Really pleased to hear this @bpascua

If there's anything you need going forward, just drop us a line.

Take care

Dave