cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What garbage speed on FTTC

thesawdust
Grafter

What garbage speed on FTTC

So, i've just done a speed test because i've a ticket open regarding faults (Which hasn't be answered to either)
BTW Speed test has the following:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 17.65 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-46.49 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 46.49 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.39Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
I'm getting tired of this garbage now, PlusNET don't reply for 24hours + and my FTTC runs like ADSL2? I can't take time off work for BTOR to visit *again*
7 REPLIES 7
picbits
Rising Star

Re: What garbage speed on FTTC

Ouch ! (still 3 x the speed of my old ADSL though !)
Is that tested using a wired connection or wireless ? You may have been asked this before if you've posted on here about it but its one of the biggest issues people seem to have.
Often I'll struggle to get over 20Mb up/down on my wireless while other times I can manage around 40Mb/18Mb. On a wired connection I get a consistent 65-67Mb connection.
thesawdust
Grafter

Was on wired  Roll_eyes
I'm more annoyed the portal said they answered my faults? Well i guess they never  Angry
picbits
Rising Star

I also found that in my early FTTC days, my speed slowed down down after a while to a crawl, by logging on to the router, doing a disconnect, waiting 30 seconds and reconnecting I got my full speed back. After a couple of months this seemed to sort itself out.
Maybe absolutely nothing to do with your issue but you never know.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi thesawdust,
Could you try connecting via PPPoE ( http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows... ) and let us know if the speeds are the same/similar please?
thesawdust
Grafter

I'll do this in morning, I've an early start  Cry
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

No worries, if you could give us a quick post once you've done that, I'd happily take a look at your line for you Smiley
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I think the upload of 0.39Mbps should be of particular concern, that would be fairly poor for ADSL2, something seriously wrong there.
Unfortunately the BT 'diagnostic' speed test gives no clue regarding upstream sync rate (unlike downstream).
Maybe your upstream has a massive error rate and is retransmitting a lot which could (possibly) limit the downstream if acknowledgements have to keep being re-sent.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.