cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does this mean?

alex7127
Grafter

What does this mean?

What does the below mean?.......is it of any interest to me?.......

"We have just increased the capacity of our WBC(21CN) broadband host links by a further 5.35Gbps. It's these host links that we use to deliver bandwidth to our broadband customers.
As part of the increase we will also disable a number of IPSC (20CN) end points to free them up to be converted to WBC end points.
We've activated this extra capacity in line with the current budget, our new products, customers' usage habits and our projected growth in customer numbers."

KR's
Alex
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: What does this mean?

Hi there,
As the description says we've increased the capacity of our network for 21CN connections (which is what you have).
This is something we need to do regularly as our customer base expands to make sure everyone has a the best possible experience of the service.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
alex7127
Grafter

Thanks Adam......but in real terms..... as far as I am concerned what does it mean to be? Faster connection?
Just a bit technical for me (the jargon)
Thanks
Alex Crazy
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Not necessarily, I'd look at it from the other way around, it's essential house keeping. If we didn't do it, you'd notice slower speeds when using the internet for certain things at certain times of day (i.e when the network is busier).
A good analogy to use would be us making more "room" on our network as new customers join us and so our network grows to accommodate.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
shalom2010
Grafter

Surely it means providing enough headroom so that your speed can be maintained - it avoids congestion on the system and allows more connections (I think).
alex7127
Grafter

Thanks Adam! Makes sense to me now.
KR's
Alex Crazy
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

A simple analogy would be a water supply to a town through a 6" pipe.
People will notice a reduction in flow at times of high demand so the water company can either increase the size of the pipe or lay extra pipes.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Estragon
Rising Star

And following on from that what they have done is take some IPSC pipes and used them for WBMC instead.  Presumably because with the recent number of newly WBC-enabled exchanges the IPSC traffic has declined considerably.  (Plus maybe some more WBMC as well).
alex7127
Grafter

IPSC   WBMC  WBC  IPSC........F*S C'mon give a guy a chance!