cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do if connecting to the test socket works?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: What do you do if connecting to the test socket works?

I completely disconnected the ring wire at the master socket but it has not made any difference: 2000 kbps in test socket, 650 kbs in master socket.
I read a suggestion that maybe you should disconnect the ring wire at all the extension sockets also but these are polished chrome screwless types and I don't know how to get inside them. 
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Routefinder
It is not suitable for use with Virgin Media Fibre Broadband or any ADSL 2/2+ service.

Only the first part of that statement is likely to be correct.
It's perfectly suitable for and works very well with ADSL2+
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Is that the modem socket at the top of the interstitial plate which you are recommending, HP?
HPsauce
Pro

Exactly. Obviously your ADSL modem has to plug in there.
It's quite a clever design in fact.  Wink
You can obviously install it without disconnecting any extension wiring. Just slide it in like the original iPlate.
It supplies an RJ11 socket effectively straight from the Test Socket and then isolates and filters the extension wiring (which obviously cannot then carry ADSL).
There are also some terminals so that you can run your own unfiltered extension if you do need the modem somewhere else.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: HPsauce
Quote from: Routefinder
It is not suitable for use with Virgin Media Fibre Broadband or any ADSL 2/2+ service.

Only the first part of that statement is likely to be correct.
It's perfectly suitable for and works very well with ADSL2+

It also says: "connection of the Fibre Broadband VDSL modem to the FTTC Broadband is provided by the shuttered RJ45 socket on the front (top section) of the unit" - it's not an RJ45 socket, it's an RJ11 socket.
HPsauce
Pro

I bought mine on eBay and (surprisingly) the seller didn't make any inaccurate claims at all.  Cool
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I haven't laid hands on one yet, but is that 2 IDC terminals top LH, if so what are they connected to? Is the bell-wire passed through to the front plate? (not that one would want to use it!).
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: ReedRichards
I completely disconnected the ring wire at the master socket but it has not made any difference: 2000 kbps in test socket, 650 kbs in master socket.

Either the cable going to the extension sockets is not CW1308, or there is a fault on it, poor quality filters are being used or something plugged in without a filter (eg. a sky box).
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Anotherone
is that 2 IDC terminals top LH, if so what are they connected to?

RTFM, or even this thread  Wink
(they're for what I stated earlier - adding an unfiltered extension if you want the modem elsewhere)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Either the cable going to the extension sockets is not CW1308, or there is a fault on it,

Nothing I could do about either of those
... poor quality filters are being used or something plugged in without a filter (eg. a sky box).

This happens whether or not there is anything plugged in to the extension sockets, or at least I unplugged everything my clients remember is plugged in - I always ask about a Sky box as they seem to be so frequently overlooked. 
Anotherone
Champion

(they're for what I stated earlier - adding an unfiltered extension if you want the modem elsewhere)

Woops, my apologies I missed that  Embarrassed
And is the bell-wire still fed through to the front plate?
HPsauce
Pro

The question doesn't make sense to me as the bell signal is for extensions only (generated by the master socket for incoming ring) and they're all wired to the front plate.
If you don't need the bell WIRE running to the extensions then don't connect it on the front plate. Most modern handsets don't need or use it.
Anotherone
Champion

Well obviously I know that, but if this vDSL plate passes the bell wire through unfiltered anyone with an older (BT) NTE5 is going to have to ensure the bell wire is disconnected. Non-techie users could be under the impression that this is a super i-plate with a built in filter, when in fact it could just be an expensive high quality filter if only being used for ADSL1/2+ and you'd be better off using an XTE-2005 or even the BT ADSL v1.0 Front plate. You need to bear in mind some non-techie users will not be happy pulling wires about.
HPsauce
Pro

Non-techie users could be under the impression that this is a super i-plate with a built in filter

(and RJ11 modem socket)
My belief is exactly that, though it would need someone to read the specs to confirm for certain.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

The new-style "VDSL" interstitial plate is pretty good. I have one now and it works a treat on ADSL2+.  Grin
Here for example: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=13095

I just fitted one of these and it really does work a treat.  Sync rate went from ~700kbps to ~4500kbps with the extension wiring connected.  
My grateful thanks to HPsauce for drawing my attention to these plates.