Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What could i expect

pendragoncs
Dabbler

What could i expect

Hi,
With the recent upgrade of our exchange to 21CN i'm trying to see if i can maximise the speed of my ADSL and maybe squeeze out a extra 1/2 MB - 1MB. Don't get me wrong i'm not expecting super fast but when you've been living with 2-3 MB every litlle bit helps.
My line has now been moved over to the 21CN and i recently ask PN to move me to ADSL2, initital they said it wasn't worth it as i was below the threshold but i asked to try anyway as to me even a 1/2 MB increase is worth it.
According to the messaging system this has now been down, but i'm awaiting confirmation on this as i'm still listed as being on an 8MB product and wasn't sure if this would have changed.
So far i've removed extension wiring and have my router connected via adsl filetr plugged into the test socket, its been this way for a couple of days with no drops etc.
I've just take the stats....

ROUTER (3.Com Office Connect)

Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Fast Path
Data Rate
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Up Stream 919 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 3094 (Kbps.)
              Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 5 dB 10 dB
Attenuation 51 dB 49 dB

Defect Indication
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 0 0
Fast Path CRC Error 0 2640
Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 0
Loss of Signal Defect 0 ---
Fast Path HEC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 0
Plusnet SpeedTest
Telephone number:
Phone exchange:
    BROUGHTON
Estimated line speed:
    1.0Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-07-17 23:49:31
Current line speed:
    2.7 Mb

BT SpeedTest

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.23 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 2.73 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.87Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

Now i'm not expecting miricals and to suddenly have 10 MB + but should i be expecting more from this line?
Jason
27 REPLIES 27
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: What could i expect

You are definitely on ADSL2  as you have an uncapped upstream
However can you recheck this attenuation figure as it can't be correct
            Upstream    Downstream
Noise Margin    5 dB    10 dB
Attenuation  51 dB   49 dB
Assuming that the upstream figure is an error then looking at it overall you should get better speeds.
The first thing is to connect the router to the test socket and report the stats
As a comparison these are my figures for downstream and my downstream attenuation is either higher (or the same depending on where the error is) and I have much better speeds with a 6dB default noise margin. Yours is probably 9dB but that doesn't explain the difference
Noise Margin:    4.9  dB
Connection Rate:  4832  Kbps
Line Attenuation: 51.0  dB
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

He's already at the test socket there JIm.
As Jim has implied, those stats seem a little odd, is that modem/router reporting the Upstream and Downstream Attenuations the correct way round? Leaving that aside, even if it was, the DS sync ought to be around 4½Mbps+ if all was well, and yes I would have expected a marginal improvement on your line with ADSL2+. The lower speed and the noise margin suggest you may have some noise problems. Do you/did you get many drops in sync especially during training when you were moved to 21CN/ADSL2+ ? Are you prone to power dips/drops?
You may of course have a line problem - can you hear any audible crackling or other noise on the line when using the phone? Do you have any problems with outgoing or incoming calls?
Edit: Can you see what stats a different modem/router reports at all?
pendragoncs
Dabbler

Hi,
Router is current connected to the test socket...via filter so we can use our homephone.
Those stats are correct....see attached.
Jason
Anotherone
Champion

We weren't suggesting a typing error, some routers report the information incorrectly to to an error in the firmware. It might be worth checking that you have the latest firmware.
pendragoncs
Dabbler

No drops that i can see in the logs/
There was one outage when they moved me to 21CN just over a week ago and then the only other outages were from me as towards the end of last week there were plenty of resets from me sorting out the master socket and removing the extensions. The line has now been up fro 2 days with now drops.

I tried the BT noise test number towards the end of last week and apart of the light hum from using a cordless there were no crackles or other noises. Not aware of any power dips but the village does get power cuts every couple of months.
As a precaution I've asked PN to reset my stats as i'm guessing those resets wouldn't have helped.
I've not got access to a replacement router but have been toying with getting one if it couple possibly help or if the router turns out to be part of the problem.
Jason
pendragoncs
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
We weren't suggesting a typing error, some routers report the information incorrectly to to an error in the firmware. It might be worth checking that you have the latest firmware.

No didn't think you were but thought it easier to just post screen shot.
I checked the router firmware a couple of weeks ago and it is updated to the latest and greatest for this modem.
Thanks,
Jason
Anotherone
Champion

My bold for clarity -
Quote from: pendragoncs
No drops that i can see in the logs/
There was one outage when they moved me to 21CN just over a week ago and then the only other outages were from me as towards the end of last week there were plenty of resets from me sorting out the master socket and removing the extensions. The line has now been up fro 2 days with now drops.
I tried the BT noise test number towards the end of last week and apart of the light hum from using a cordless there were no crackles or other noises. Not aware of any power dips but the village does get power cuts every couple of months.
As a precaution I've asked PN to reset my stats as i'm guessing those resets wouldn't have helped.
I've not got access to a replacement router but have been toying with getting one if it couple possibly help or if the router turns out to be part of the problem.
Jason

Ah, ok, I was suspecting the target noise margin might have been raised by the exchange DRM. I suggest you post the ticket number on here so one of the DC team can take a look.
Whist you are at the test socket, have you checked your internal wiring is up to standard - only the Blue/white & White/blue wires connected to terminals 2 & 5 ?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

FWIW I have a 3-Com Office Connect router here, which I stopped using very quickly after going on ADSL2+. It worked very well with ADSL Max, rock solid 8Mb connection at all times, but just didn't cope well with ADSL2+ at all.
[Edit: typo]
pendragoncs
Dabbler

Thanks,
Question ID = 57512509
I did check the back of the faceplate and only those two wires are connected.
Might have a look at another router....any recommendations?
Jason
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If you aren't intending to leave Plusnet get one of theirs for £4.99 P&P (I think it is that)
pendragoncs
Dabbler

Suppose that's an option......Are the standard routers any good?
Not had any response from PN support yet re a line reset..
jim:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The latest ones seem OK
pendragoncs
Dabbler

Called support in the end and arranged for the line to be retrained.....but they don't think it will make any difference and what i'm getting now is about as fast as I'm going to get.  Cry
Jason
Anotherone
Champion

Don't agree. Unless it's a very noisy line or some issue with the modem/router, it should be doing better. Did they do a Copper Line Test?
See if you can borrow another modem/router to try.