cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What contributes to 'Streaming'?

TNipper

What contributes to 'Streaming'?

Hey all, I'm already aware streaming includes watching videos and listening to audio online, but i'm just wondering if it includes any other form of internet activity?
I'm just wondering because recently my household broadband usage has started to rocket. We use the 60gb package and our household has gone over that for the past 4 months. Steaming accounts for 74% (43% daytime, 31% night) of our total usage and it's definitely killing our allowance.
Everyday we use 3gb at least of data, and if we keep continuing at this rate we will have to migrate to an ISP with an unlimited bandwidth service, or end up paying ridiculous bills. What's also strange is that we're not always online, we have to leave the house for work/university etc...
Our family only really watch YouTube in 360p, and my father has an Ipad which he uses, but I've taught him about turning wifi mode off that when he's not using it. Do videos really consume so much bandwidth?
Could something strange be going on? Do wireless devices still receive data even if they're off? Or is it just that someone in my household is watching a ton of videos and isn't telling me? Also I know this may be irrelevant but my brother uses an ethernet cable to connect his computer despite us having a wireless router, may that be a factor?
Thanks in advance. I've been trying to figure out the root of the problem for weeks but I've run out of ideas.
2 REPLIES 2
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: What contributes to 'Streaming'?

Quickest way to find the culprit, is ban the use of internet for a day.  If you still use the same amount with no one online, then you have an insecure wifi and you have a leech.  If not then you have someone or an application trying to download more than expected.
As for videos, yes they do use/waste a lot.  If using you tube a lot make sure that it is set to Not use the maximum quality it can http://www.youtube.com/account_playback , as that will making it stream a larger file than required if you are trying to be careful.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: What contributes to 'Streaming'?

Hi TNipper,
You could always use something like Networx to monitor your usage in real time.
Jojo Smiley