Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What browser do you use and why?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

What browser do you use and why?

Thought I'd start a thread on web browsers.
Yep, that's right. Web browsers.
Not the most innovative nor enlightening of subjects I'm sure but let's face it, where would we be without our primary means of getting at all the lovely web content out there just dying to be consumed?!
Me? I mainly use Mozilla Firefox and have done for a while now. I choose it over the alternatives due to its minimalistic features and the simply vast array of plugins available. I can choose to install the components I am likely to use instead of being offered a solution that's saturated with features I'm never going to go anywhere near. I also can't find some of the functionality/behaviours I've now become accustomed to in any other browser.
Add to this Jon Hicks' strangely appealing and iconic logo and that's me sold!
Here are some of the extensions I use at home:

Some others I use at work include Nagios Checker and Switch Proxy.
I do tend to use IE for certain things when I'm forced to. Some of BT Wholesale's systems are notoriously bad for this and tend to play up if you attempt to use anything other than IE. Another example that springs to mind is Channel 4's Simulcast streaming service that also only works using Microsoft's offering.
Another browser I've used in the past is Opera Mini which I had installed on my old Symbian smartphone. I have to admit though that I now prefer the integrated browser on my N95 as opposed to Opera's latest beta of Mini.
I do have one irritation with Firefox, and that's the fact that since version 2 it does have a slight tendency to crash occasionally whereas this never happened before. Having said that the auto recovery feature saves the day when this does happen and I'm willing to put up with it for the functionality it provides.
So there it is. What browser do you use and why?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

97 REPLIES 97
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: What browser do you use and why?

Opera never crashes! Opera is the superior browser! Opera is the peoples' champion! Opera is the peoples' choice and Opera layeth the smacketh down!
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Liam
Grafter

Firefox ftw!  Grin
prichardson
Grafter

PEBKAC on your crashing Bob.
I too pretty much use only firefox from browing and work. Whilst I use plugins such as IE Tab, I still tend to use thew browser itself, as I have quicker control when using CTRL+TAB to switch between account windows for example, and ALT+TAB between various supplier systems.
I am facinated by Cooliris, but find it inpracticle at times and doesn't always work on the links you want it to.
Very fun though and brilliant for forum reading from views such as "Posts since last visit".
I like the way it will remember if you disabled it based on the site your on to, so I can switch it off on our internal systems, but leave it on for forums.
Firefox Showcase is pretty cool and works well with the theme I use called myFireFox. Couple these two and the ChromEdit Plus, and you can cusomise the theme to your needs (scrapping forced toolbar buttons/possitioning for example).
Google Notebook, Web Developer and Extention Developer also feature on my list, allowing me to retain notes between computers (home and work) and look at the inner workings of websites and assist with customer problems, we may not normally deal with. Although I don't make extentions (but intended to), it provides some little features that allow a quick sandbox.
Deepest Sender is one of my new ones on the list, which allows me to create, draft and edit blog posts on the Community site. It's a basic interface, but does the job.
James
Grafter

I also use Firefox, partly because it annoys Dave and Mand, which in itself is an extremely good justification.
However, I like my plugins.  I don't have as many as Bob, but I like my mouse gestures and 1-click weather.
I refuse to use Opera under the line of thought that it would be accepting defeat from the evil clutches of Mr. Tomlinson.
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Safari, cause I use a MAC
s_d_c
Dabbler

Firefox for me. Used to be IE before I joined PlusNet...now I've got a Mac at home, I'll probably end up using Safari (but I'm not that keen on it at the moment...)
Colin
Grafter

Firefox mainly, although I'm not THAT keen on it on the Mac.
I also use Opera, Camino, Seamonkey at various times 🙂
IE and Safari when testing.
pemsell

I use Firefox, mostly for the plugins available.
Most improved browser goes to IE with IE7, compared with IE6 its so much better.
Ianwild
Grafter

Quote from: _CN_
Safari, cause I use a MAC

Errrr... Firefox, cause I use a MAC. Safari 3 Beta seems a lot less gash though, but it's firegox plugins that do it for me. My fave plugins are:
GTDInbox, Foxytunes, Fireftp, Google Calandar Notifier, Google Bookmarks and Screen grab.
Ian
slockley

I'm all over the place with this one.
-My home PC is IE6, just because its very basic and all i need
-My apple laptop i have safari again because its nice and basic
-At work i use firefox portable because it saves all my shortcuts, views nagios and saves my passwords..
-I would like mainly safari to be not just macs and pcs but portable also, then i would probably use that everywhere!
MattGrest
Dabbler

Firefox on both Windows and Mac.
I've used this for what must be 4 years now, when it used to be called "Phoenix" and then "Firebird" before changing its name to "Firefox" around 3 years ago.
The thing I personally like about Firefox is the huge support from the community to solve all those idiosyncratic problems.
Plus, "find as you type" is the most useful feature I have found in any software application, ever (seriously).
chillypenguin
Grafter

Mr Chilly, Firefox
Mrs Chilly, IE7, as Mrs Chilly thinks that "Firefox sucks sweaty ball's"
Chilly
Mand
Grafter

I like Opera, and for my home PC I use that and only that. On my mobile I use Opera Mini.
I use Firefox at work, under sufferance to a certain extent but it's hard to argue with the fact that it's faster than Opera most of the time, is sooooooo easy to configure the way you want it (which is important as I spend most of my work time on forums and external websites) and that it uses less memory on my work lappy. I hate the satisfaction this gives Bob and Liam though! Cheesy
pdavidson
Grafter

Don't worry Mand, I'll pretend I forced you to say it