cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are a normal number of errors, crc, hec ?

matthewwalton

What are a normal number of errors, crc, hec ?

I was wondering what a normal number of errors would be? I have what seems like quite a lot over a relatively short time.
Is there a guide number?

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 1 day, 20:55:10
Downstream: 8,064 Kbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps
  ADSL settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 11.1 dB / 28.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 37.0 dB / 22.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 20.0 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 658088 / 344
CRC Events (Down/Up): 10809 / 138
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up): 1084065 / 221
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Hide Details
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: What are a normal number of errors, crc, hec ?

it all rather depends - good answer NOT
Take my case
The errors are horrendous but not a problem
After 10 days
Errors:
  FEC:  7190939
  CRC:  31874
  HEC:  312534
This graph shows that the problems occurred during two daylight periods as shown
The reason was that there were thunderstorms rolling about in the distance
Note specially that there are no error secs in your case so there really isn't a problem
Basically if the line is stable and you aren't seeing any problems with browsing you can ignore them
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

However - given the high noise margin I am surprised that they are as high as they are so a bit of investigating would be useful for the the time when your exchange upgrades to 21CN
Can you connect the router to the test socket behind the master socket removable lower half (the link I gave above explains it) and leave it there for a couple of days and then report back
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

By definition, an errored second is a second that had one or more CRC errors (amongst other things). So there can't have been zero errored seconds and 10809 CRC errors. Probably the errored seconds count just never gets updated and will always display as zero. I know my router will always show zero errored seconds when using ADSL1, but shows correct errored seconds counts on ADSL2.
matthewwalton

Thanks. I currently am plugged in to a new mk2 bt faceplate that contains the filter so would need to figure out how to take that apart!
I might just leave it and keep an eye on it for now.  Connection working ok at present, although the connection time is usually not longer than 3 days. But I have a ticket ongoing with support at present trying to figure out what might be wrong.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I found some related figures in a BTWholesale PDF called Slow Throughput Best Practice Guide
According to that, the mean time between errors should be at least 50 seconds, and the number of errored seconds should be less than 20 over 15 minutes.