Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What ADSL Routers are best with Plusnet

monkeylover35
Dabbler

What ADSL Routers are best with Plusnet

Dear All,
  I've got an old ADSL Router (is capable of doing adsl2+). I've been getting intermittent synch issues that are ruining my new adsl2+ speeds. After many days of getting plusnet to do tests..they came back saying "line is fine...if you want BT out, you could face a hefty bill if no fault etc etc".
My router is a Linksys WAG354G V1 (running firmware 1.00.11 or something dated dec-2006) and I've read reports and posts from all over the place about people having synch issues with various routers (using AR7) chipsets etc.
Unfortunately having a noisy line It may be that the linksys isnt very good at dealing with that...
Anyone had similar problems that were solved by upgrading the router to a different brand?? if so what you using?Huh
9 REPLIES 9
scootie
Grafter

Re: What ADSL Routers are best with Plusnet

is there no more upto date firmware out for the router?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

That is the latest firmware for that router see... http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/support/WAG354G/download
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scootie
Grafter

am glad you had better luck with linkys website, kept telling me the model number wasnt right. Been cursing that site for past 5 mins  Roll_eyes
monkeylover35
Dabbler

Hahah yes its a variable site..must be dependant prevailing winds or offshore currents on whether it works or not.
I do actually have the current firmware installed though (its an old product though so its about 3 years since any updates)...didnt make a great deal of difference..
Suspect my noisy line is rather responsible...thus the opinions on good ADSL routers...I've read some are better than others at dealing with crap line conditions...seems the WAG354G (which was fine for maxdsl) isnt one to deal with them so well..
scootie
Grafter

am running a netgear dg834g v4 on my 50db atten line on fastpath with a current uptime of over 20 days, but the dlm only lets me use adsl2 with out the + at my line length. so i have no idea if it copes as good on the +. also worth noting its taken the 21cn DLM since april to settle my line into the downstream noise margin and sync range i had before on 20cn.
ive spent many months stuck at sync of 3072 due to DLM banding me, its only past month ive been happy with my 21cn connection
alot of history of my line here since going on 21cn http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75667.0.html all on my dg834g v4 apart from a few days on a belkin but i was banded when i tried that so couldnt get an idea how it coped sync wise
worth noting thoe that the v4 has a broadcom chip where the new v5 dosent
dvorak

You could try and get something like an unlocked 2700HGV on ebay, they are pretty good on long lines from my experience - you would need an unlocked one though.
Some would recommend Billion, though I don't have any experience and a lot on these forums would recommend the DG834G v4 or GT. Don't get the DG834PN whatever you do.
Customer / Moderator
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

You could try and get something like an unlocked 2700HGV on ebay, they are pretty good on long lines from my experience - you would need an unlocked one though.

I wish people wouldn't keep letting the secret out about these 2700's, there'll be none left when I need another spare Wink
Adie, they're all usable on PlusNet ( and most ISP's ) with a little persuasion, even the latest V6 ones...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

julesandtash
Grafter

I've got one - running BT firmware. It works perfectly on plusnet and gives better connection than any of the others I've played with.
dvorak

Quote from: MisterW
I wish people wouldn't keep letting the secret out about these 2700's, there'll be none left when I need another spare Wink

Loved mine... until the wireless failed on it Sad
Customer / Moderator