cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird...

Berylll

Weird...

Hi,
Trying to access my router for the first time (582n) . Despite numerous attempts entering 'admin' then the Serial number off the bottom of the router, It just says incorrect name or password. The SN is unambiguous: nothing can be mistaken, one for I etc. And, as I understand it the  name 'admin' is uniquely connected with the SN so as long as you don't misspell it you should be home and dry.
Any ideas?
Thanks
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Weird...

Is the case correct it should probably all be upper case
How long have you had the router
Berylll

Yes, but have tried both upper and lower..... Any everything else I can think of.
Berylll

Sorry, about three months.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

In which case I have no idea but I have seen to be a similar problem reported - will try and find it
Mav
Fixes: 514

Mixing zeros and Os is a common problem.
Failing that is there any chance the password has been changed at some time. Perhaps performing a factory reset may help:
use a paperclip, pen or pointed object to press into the reset pinhole on the back of the router. Keep the button pressed in for at least 7 seconds. When the power light goes red, release the button and wait until the power light turns green again

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Berylll

It hasn't been touched since installation. I'm not a fiddler, it's just I am trying to get a Chromecast to work, hence need for access.
I'm trying to avoid reset as the installation didn't work when first installed and the BT guy had gone. Sorted out through 'Support ' so tend to ask first and only fiddle if needed.
There are no zeros in the SN.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Maybe a silky thought, but are you entering the whole password string, including CP, without gaps? I tend to forget the CP element on the odd occasion.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Berylll

Quote from: lucerne
Maybe a silky thought, but are you entering the whole password string, including CP, without gaps? I tend to forget the CP element on the odd occasion.

Yep, whole thing without gaps.
Nightmare. I'm going to phone up support and ask for a replacement. Don't reckon much on my chances. They will just think silly mare can't even type in a simple password!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Berylll,
Just to clarify, are you typing in:
Username: admin
Password: CPXXXXXXXXX
zxcvbnm
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sometimes if I have trouble with a password I type it into notepad carefully and then copy and paste it into the password box so I know I have typed it just right.
I think the default settings for thomson routers are often admin with a blank password. Probably doesn't apply to you though but worth a try?
I assume you have restarted the router? Occasionally routers to gum up and don't let you log in until they have been turned off and on again and then they let you in.
Good luck
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

I have trouble logging into mine some-times, i have to use the incognito/private browsing tab depending if i'm using safari or firefox.
It's worth a try anyhow. Goodluck.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I had problems logging into my 582n, until I looked at the label through a magnifying glass and saw that what I took to be an '8' in the password was in fact a badly printed 'B'.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

I have a the Thompson 582n with my current BEthere service ( will end soon as i have ordered plusnet fibre) and the username was always Administrator ie in full not admin and the password was as mentioned the serial number with CP at the front, they have been times when i forgot that and just put admin and it wouldn't log in
has the OP tried that ? or is it different for plusnet
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Worth a try if the OP hasn't tried that one already.
The login can depend on the firmware (but should match the information/label provided).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.