Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird symptoms, any suggestions?

sanderton
Grafter

Weird symptoms, any suggestions?

Hi,
I was browsing the web this morning fine when abruptly pages failed to load with "No Internet connection" message.
Rebooted the router.
When it came back up:
The connection speed had dropped from its usual 7600 to 4000.
Showing connected to Plusnet.
No web connectivity
DNS working
Ping working on the router's built-in ping tester, but not working on any computer connected to the network.
Any suggestions?
Tried rebooting the router a few times.

8 REPLIES 8
ID
Grafter

Re: Weird symptoms, any suggestions?

Please post the info requested here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
It will give the helpers here more to go on.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have you tried rebooting one of the computers
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@ID
I'm afraid that wouldn't be much help at the moment as he can't get to web pages.
@Jim
Obviously a good idea, otherwise -
@sanderton
Yes, stop rebooting your modem/router immediately. You are in danger of convincing the DLM at the exchange that you have an intermittent line problem If you haven't already (or actually got one - but less likely!) This will result in the Target SNRM being raised and you will end up with slower sync speeds and the consequences of that. This can take weeks to recover from without an SNRM reset.
Your symptoms are consistent with a possible modem/router fault (or it's power supply), so you need to try another modem/router. BUT do it in the following way - login to your modem/router interface and whilst you are there grab a copy of the ADSL line stats and post them here. On the main page of the interface you should see a "Disconnect" button - click on that - this disconnects the ppp session with the ISP.  Now power off the modem/router, wait a minute or two and then disconnect it from the line. Always use this procedure for swapping things around (including the filter the modem/router is connected to).
IF you see symptoms of  "No Internet connection", don't reboot you modem/router as the first step. Check that you are still "synced" to the exchange by looking at the lights on the modem/router. Then login to it's interface and see if it shows Connected (ppp session to the ISP). Then grab a copy of the ADSL line stats, just in case there are needed to investigate a line problem. Then click on "Disconnect" wait about half a minute then click on "Connect". If the problem persists, either try another modem/router or ring the ISP to see if there is a problem their end.
If you can't login/get to the Interface check your ethernet connection, try another port and/or cable or if wireless, go hard wired and/or re-boot your computer. If there is still a problem logging in, try another computer , failing that,  power down the modem/router, wait about 5 minutes and power up again. If the problem persists, try another modem/router.
Edit: tidy up last part of guidance.
ID
Grafter

Apologies  :-[. Must read slower.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

No problem, well done for trying to help  Wink
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@sanderton - if the tests Anotherone has posted don't improve things (or at least highlight a cause) then raise it to us via http://faults.plus.net and we'll get it investigated for you.
sanderton
Grafter

Thanks all.
I seem to have two unrelated problems.
One was my router was packing in; digging out a spare restored the connection to the exchange to its normal speed and ping and DNS came back.
The other is low actual internet speeds; my profile is fine (6.5Mb) but my exchange is showing an Amber alert for poor speeds.
I've raised a fault to check this second one.
Ta  again.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi sanderton,
It's not to do with the exchange I don't think. Your current BT profile is 3000. You've been connected for 45 hours now but it can take 72 to change, which as your sync rate is 7648 should update to 7000.
Jojo Smiley