cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird speeds, don't understand?

nw82
Dabbler

Weird speeds, don't understand?

Hello, since signing up with plusnet in May browsing the internet is fine but for about 80% of the time I cannot watch videos, connect the xbox and sometimes its even quicker to turn off wifi on my phone and use the mobile network.  I have connected to the test socket , via ethernet cables and tried a different router but no change.  When I run a BT wholesale test the result vary, I can run one test and get a speed of 2.8mbs and run it again a minute after and get 0.3mbps.  Before moving to plusnet I was with talktalk and had speeds over 4.5mbps most of the time.  I have also noticed that sometimes when the phone is picked up the ADSL disconnects and then reconnects.
The results of a recent test after being unable to play on xbox live or watch a youtube video, although the speed varied massively each time I run the test:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.81 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 5.05 Mbps 
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.44Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
Please Help!!!!!!!
7 REPLIES 7
Estragon
Rising Star

Re: Weird speeds, don't understand?

The good news is that the IP Profile of 5.05Mbps means you are still connecting at a speed that should give you over 4.5Mbps throughput, as you had on TalkTalk.
The bad news from me is that I haven't a clue why you aren't getting that, and you've already tried the tests I would have suggested.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@nw82
What's your Current Line Speed?
I'd guess it's what's killing your connection speed.
Estragon
Rising Star

D'oh![me=Estragon]goes to bed.[/me]
nw82
Dabbler

Thank you both for trying to help, sorry Jaggies I dont understand what you mean? Am I missing something?
From plusnet site:
Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
5 Mb
How can this kill connection speed??   Sorry dont know much about this, lol
Also below is my router information is anyone can see any problems?Huh
1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number:
3 - Firmware version: 7.273.1_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 7 days 18:10:42
7 - Data rate: 736/5728
8 - Maximum data rate: 896/6064
9 - Noise margin: 12.0/6.3
10 - Line attenuation: 26.5/45.5
12 - Data sent/received: 2.9G/2.1G
20 - Broadband username:
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID: PLUSNET-KMCTGX
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: 4
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address:
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.273.1
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Username removed from a public forum.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'd recommend raising a fault using the link below so we can take a look
https://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
cedlor
Grafter

I would also delete your user name/email address from the stats
Estragon
Rising Star

The Plusnet Current line speed sets automatically to a fraction below the BT IP Profile, to ensure that Plusnet do not send data to the exchange MSAN as a rate higher than the MSAN can send it down the line to you.
That auto-setting can fail to happen after you have had a low speed, possibly caused by a thunderstorm for example, then followed by a later reconnect at the normal speed. When that fails you get the effect you have. Yours may have been wrongly set at ~3Mbps. Which is why Jaggies wanted you to check it, and I had forgotten about it.   But we can see it is correct.
In any case it wouldn't explain speeds as low as 0.3Mbps. Nor should picking up the phone ever cause a disconnection. As Matthew says, you need to go through the fault link he gave you, to trigger the Plusnet diagnostics and register the problem on the system.
Losing connection when picking up the phone is often caused by what is called an HR (High Resistance) fault somewhere between you and the exchange. A pig for Openreach to find if it's only intermittent. Easy if it's solid.
A suggestion - next time you are only getting 0.3Mbps or that silly sort of speed, check the Data rate (line 7 in your stats), then after doing that see if the phone has a dial tone. (Not the other way round as picking up the phone may cause a re-sync). A very low Data rate and no dial tone means one wire of the pair is not connecting somewhere along the line.