Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird disconnection problem!

crawfordrainow
Grafter

Weird disconnection problem!

HI,
Whenever I plug an external device in to my laptop (eg vga lead or audio jack) I lose my internet connection and the light goes off on my wireless router, TG582n.
When this happens I get the plusnet log in screen shown, (username - admin etc)
However logging in does not cure the problem.
I have even tried disconnecting from the wireless connection before plugging in, but somehow the router still picks this up and my internet connection fails!
I like to be able to listen to music through my hi-fi and watch on TV screen, but can do neither!  Very irritating.
                  Any ideas what I can try please?
9 REPLIES 9
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Weird disconnection problem!

That... is interesting. New one on me.
Could you try connecting the laptop via an ethernet cable and (and this is important) disabling the wireless on the laptop before plugging anything in?
The theory is that something happens on your laptop that causes your wireless card to do something that disrupts the router, that seems to make most sense from what you've said. If you could give it a go and let us know we'll take things from there.
crawfordrainow
Grafter

Hi Matt,
Thanks for your reply.  I rang support this pm as I lost connection and could not restore it.  I am now back online having done as you suggested without success. I am now awaiting a replacement router, it has been suggested that may resolve the issue, which seems possible, as I never had the problem on my previous router.  If that does not work.......I'll be back.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Cheers  Alex
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

yes, do let us know if the new router doesn't resolve it, as Matt rightly says its an unusual problem this one but we'll help you as much as we're able to.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
crawfordrainow
Grafter

Hi,
At last I got chance to try the new router, with some progress!  Providing I use an ethernet connection I can now watch/listen through external devices eg tv & hi-fi. 
However, it would be better still to be able to use wi-fi, so that I could use the laptop as a source in other rooms too.
I still cannot fathom why the wi-fi connection disconnects when I try using it and cannot  find any work around to solve it.  I don't know if this extra info throws any more light on the problem, but help/suggestions would still be appreciated.    Cheers    Alex
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Alex,
Do you mean that you're having the same problem you were having with the original router. Sorry for being dumb, I'm just not quite sure what effects are happening now.
Jojo Smiley
crawfordrainow
Grafter

Hi JoJo,
Thanks for your response. 
Yes I am having exactly the same problem, although with the new router, using an ethernet connection, I can plug a vga lead in and use a  TV monitor and/or  an audio jack without losing internet connection.
                                                      Thanks    Alex
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Do you have any other computers? Does it happen with them?
crawfordrainow
Grafter

Hi JoJo,
I only have a laptop so I can't try an alternative pc to see if I get the same problem.
I mentioned in an earlier post that not only do I lose internet connection, the internet light on the router goes off and when I try to resume use, I have to go through the Plusnet admin/password log in process.  I don't know if that has any significance.
                                                                                                                                Alex
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Alex,
To be honest, I can't see it being router related. I'd say there was a conflict with something on your computer. The only way to definitively show that would be to try another device.
Jojo Smiley