cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird behaviour

suss

Weird behaviour

Hi there,
So essentially I got fibre installed about 2 weeks ago. It's all been working fine. However yesterday I hooked up three new items to my network. (a switch, a NAS and an access point). In the configuration as follows:
[Top of house, NAS, Access point, all connected through a switch] <-----ETHERNET -----> [Bottom of house, plusnet TG582n router].
After setup, it all worked pretty much perfect. However.....when I downloaded a torrent* via my NAS, every WIFI device connected to the plusnet router was unable** to obtain internet access. BUT every wifi device connected to the access point at the top of the house worked seamlessly. It was almost as if the router was prioritising the 'WIRED' traffic due to the downloading. When I discovered this, I stopped the download, but the wireless devices still didn't work! Not until I actually removed the ethernet cable for the 'top of house' did it start working again. Now can anyone explain this, and provide a solution please?
*Please be aware it's an entirely legal torrent, BlackMesa, the half life remake game. How many years has it taken!?
**They could connect to the router, but couldn't load pages, they'd time out. Some devices could ping Google with an extremely high latency.
Feel free to go technical by the way. I'm fairly knowledgeable, but can't explain this.
All help is appreciated,
Thanks,
Craig.
6 REPLIES 6
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Weird behaviour

Is the NAS on a static IP address?
If so try it on a dynamic IP.
suss

Thanks for the quick reply!
I have given it a static IP from within the NAS, as the 582n doesn't seem to have a utility to assign IP's to specific MAC addresses. I kind of need to have a static IP for certain reasons, but I can switch it back to dynamic to test this.
Although I wouldn't have thought this would bring about any affect. Would you mind explaining please?
Thanks,
Craig
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

It is possible to assign a fixed address for the MAC using the GUI.
Home > Home Network > Devices > NAS drive name
iDan
suss

Thanks iDan, clearly I didn't look hard enough!
If it's successful with a dynamic DNS, I'll try using static that way!
Thanks,
Craig
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

These Technicolor routers have problems doing port forward with devices on a static IP address.
I'm assuming the NAS was using UPnP to open ports for your P2P download.
Yes I know you said the NAS was not affected but IMO it's still possible for this to affect other devices.
If you're not bothered about the actual IP address, you just want it fixed, then enable "always use the same IP address" in the routers network settings for the device.
Alternatively if you need a specific IP within the DHCP pool use the telnet method:
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#lanip
If you really must use a static IP, ensure it's outside the DHCP pool, ie use one in the range 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.62.
suss

Well great. Thank you very much for the detailed answer about 'why not'.
Sorted all my issues!
Have a lovely day, and I'll try answer a few questions myself (if i can).
Cheers,
Craig