cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Problem - Spanish IP Address Assigned?

bobboulby
Grafter

Weird Problem - Spanish IP Address Assigned?

I’ve just had a weird problem that I thought others might want to be aware of ...
I was disconnected from the Internet in the middle of Monday night, presumably because of the maintenance work being carried out as per this service status http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=maintenance&ispservice_id=adsldial. My router reconnected and I thought nothing more of it until Tuesday evening when I tried to use BBC iPlayer on my Sony SMP N100 (a black box that connects to your TV to give access to on-line services such as iPlayer, YouTube etc.)
Bizarrely, iPlayer had disappeared from the Sony’s menu (along with some other stuff) and had been replaced by a number of Spanish catch-up TV services!! I rang Sony support and they said that it was my IP address and that I should reboot my router. I was somewhat sceptical but I rebooted and sure enough the Spanish services disappeared and the UK ones came back.
So it appears that when my router reconnected early on Tuesday morning it was assigned a non UK (Spanish?) IP address.
The IP address that caused the problem was 37.152.246.153 and I now have an IP address starting 31.185.***.***.
Bob
6 REPLIES 6
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Weird Problem - Spanish IP Address Assigned?

Does not look like a spanish ip address to me just put that into an IP Checker as this is what it came back with IP address [?]: 37.152.246.153 [Whois] [Reverse IP]
IP country code: GB
IP address country: United Kingdom
IP address state: n/a
IP address city: n/a
IP address latitude: 54.0000
IP address longitude: -2.0000
ISP of this IP [?]: PlusNet Technologies Ltd
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I tried a couple of sites that claim to give the location of an IP address, the first didn't know for the address specified, the second said Sheffield and this one http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation&IpAddress=37.152.246.153 said somewhere in Israel so I guess a lot of this depends on what source data is used and how quickly it is updated.
As IPv4 addresses are now 'running in short supply' I guess more allocations will be 'recycled' and may be incorrectly identified when various databases are not kept up to date.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
x47c
Grafter

Its one of the recently re-assigned IP address groups  - now owned by Plusnet
However BBC seems to need a month (or so) to re- register it as a UK based address in their database - and so accept it as being able to access iplayer.
see
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,103581.0.html
scarp09

I had the same thing happen to me with my sony player. Happened a few times over the last 3 - 4 weeks, and seemed very bizarre. Great if you like Spanish TV, but a bummer if you're trying to keep up with The Bridge on iPlayer. Good to have a short-term resolution (reboot the router) but I hope the BBC gets on with it and updates its database soon.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Reboot the router is not the best option for a lot of people because you lose sync with the exchange.
The best way is to Login the modem/router Internet interface and use the "Disconnect" button (or "Drop PPPoA" as some routers may say) this drops the PPP Internet session (not the sync), you then click on "Connect" which it should change to/show after it's disconnected. This establishes a new session, usually on another Gateway, and with a new IP address. (This is also the technique for a Gateway hop). HTH.
scream
Dabbler

Completely agree with this, although rebooting the router several times was the first resolution for the 'Foreign IP Address' problem, I would go with the advice above. I'm fairly sure that all of the IP addresses PN was assigned have now been corrected so that they show the correct location. Unfortunately there was some form of Admin error in the first instance when the IP's were assigned which did report that you were over in international waters.
Smiley
Adie:quote