Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Issue with Netgear router and broadband

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Weird Issue with Netgear router and broadband

Afternoon all,
Ive got a DGND3300 working since August - Its been working perfectley until around a couple of weeks ago.
I have no idea whats going on, but randomly, the DSL and internet lights go out, and it tells me that the Modem Status is 'Connecting' on the router interface (image attached). It loses sync speed downstream and upstream and the sync speed always changes. Also, then I dial out or someone phones me up, it ends up cutting the internet connection to the router, still happens after ive taken out everything and replaced the microfilter.
So, the funny thing is that the router drops internet connectivity, but Plusnet report that I havent had any disconnections!
The router status screen (for netgears, also attacheed) reports that the connections been going for around 42 hours, but ive had the router telling me that it cant connect to the internet!  Netgear genie also tells me that the internet has disconnected.

Would you think this is a router fault? As I might aswell try and return to Amazon to see if they give me my money back if its faulty; and then get a much better one in the process  Wink

29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Weird Issue with Netgear router and broadband

Have you got the "Idle Timeout", on the [Basic Settings] page, set to Zero ?
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Yep, Idle timeout was set to zero.
Im just waiting for the replacement router to arrive from Amazon (Top quality CS) with my laserjet. Il post back if the new router fixes the issue.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if the configuration memory has been corrupted ?, I have seen odd issues like this on Netgear's which can be solved by using the little button on the back to clear the memory back to the factory defaults, and then reconfigure from scratch.
Have you checked whether there is a firmware upgrade available ?
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Replacement router installed, and all is well! No more disconnecting when making outgoing calls or recieving incoming ones!
Syncs faster too, weirdly  Huh

I tried the reset button before telling Amazon the routers gone weird, it did reset but the same thing happend again. And then the dome LED lights decided to have a spaz attack.

Only a temp router for now, FTTC coming in March, after ages and ages  Grin
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Okay I spoke too soon.
The phone problem is now cured, but its randomly dropping by itself with the same thing i mentioned in the opening post.
it will literally disconnect (DSL and internet lights go out) but the router stats tell me its connected, whilst modem stats tells me it isnt connected. (See screenshots in first post to know what im on about)
Could the ADSL wire be the cause? Im using a 10m gold connector one, couple of years old.
Theres also an extention socket from the master socket to the kitchen thats around 20yrs old (installed around 5 years before I was born) - but thats working perfectley fine.
Both are filtered and have had their filters replaced..
But, Ive always used PPPoE instead of PPPoA, could this be the cause?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has your line recently been upgraded to ADSL2 ?
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Nope, Ive had ADSL2 (ADSL2+) for about a year and a half.
BUT, my upload has been uncapped recentley...I dont see how that can cause a problem though.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have seen this sort of thing a few times.
Basically when the error rate is so high that the signal is effectively borked the router should resync.
I have seen cases with a Dlink, Netgear and an old Speedtouch where it didn't and just sat there.
A resync usually fixed it although with the Dlink it was in the ADSL2 training period and because the line apparently wasn't dropping it kept synching with a 3dB noise margin and then not working because of the errors (I changed router to another cheapy unit which did resync and that fixed the problem.
In your case I suspect the problem is compounded by the router getting itself in a tizzy
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you got a master phone socket like the one shown at the start of the following thread - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101130
If so, can you plug your router into the TEST socket as shown, and see if the issue disappears ?
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
I have seen this sort of thing a few times.
Basically when the error rate is so high that the signal is effectively borked the router should resync.
I have seen cases with a Dlink, Netgear and an old Speedtouch where it didn't and just sat there.
A resync usually fixed it although with the Dlink it was in the ADSL2 training period and because the line apparently wasn't dropping it kept synching with a 3dB noise margin and then not working because of the errors (I changed router to another cheapy unit wphohich did resync and that fixed the problem.
In your case I suspect the problem is compounded by the router getting itself in a tizzy

The original problem I had is now back! I pickup the phone, dial 1471 and then the router loses sync on the router status page, but tells me it had kept sync on the connection status page. That's the weirdness of it all.
I had hardly any errors before, the line was quite stable.
I thought the extension was causing the issue, but as the router is directly connected onto the master, it shouldn't pose a problem. Something else interesting was that unplugging and replugging one out of two microfilters onto the extension phone socket didn't make the lights go out. Unplugging and replugging the other made the lights go. This seems quite weird.
Purleigh; yes, I have the NTE5 with the test bit. I shall wake up and do that tomorrow, involves moving a load of stuff near the socket.

But dialing out and incoming calls shouldn't be causing an issue should they? I've replaced both phones, both microfilters, and the router too. Only thing I haven't is the adsl wire from filtered master to router and the extension socket and wire!
Perfect timing for the internet to go weird for me, when I've got gcse modules coming up in the next three weeks Cry
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: Amanha
But dialing out and incoming calls shouldn't be causing an issue should they?

They shouldn't, but they can have this effect if something is wrong somewhere...
I've replaced both phones, both microfilters, and the router too. Only thing I haven't is the adsl wire from filtered master to router and the extension socket and wire!

The existence of the extension certainly could be enough to cause this kind of problem - especially if the 3rd wire - the ring wire - is connected between the sockets. This was happening at my parents.
The best bet for now is to get the faceplate off, and make sure that doing this disconnects the extension from the line. Then plug modem into the test socket (via a filter), and see what happens.
If that fixes things, then I suggest...
Perfect timing for the internet to go weird for me, when I've got gcse modules coming up in the next three weeks Cry

... that you leave the modem in the test socket for 3 weeks, and go and concentrate on something more important Wink
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Its getting annoying now. Router did it again, randomly (no incoming calls or anything) - and the DSL and internet lights went out around 7mins ago.
I was thinking it could be the extension, or something at the BT PCP maybe, but everyone needs the kitchen phone for some reason.. I went out to see if anyone was messing with the PCP, and then remembered that there was a fibre cabinet there now. (After I bumped into the fibre cabinet coming back from school a couple of days back)
The extension socket going to the kitchen is connected inside the actual NTE5 (Not sure if this is supposed to be like that) - coming out of the right top side! Will removing the faceplate disable that one?

Ah, yes if it does, I shall have no other options! Need to get my head in some books, revise hard and go get the As and A*s the teachers predicted me  Grin
But if it doesnt, Im the one responsible for fixing it!  Sad No one else has the mental capacity to understand how all the setup works!

Plusnet wont look into it; as the connection at their end is connected even when the DSL and Internet lights go out!

Oh yes, Happy new year everyone! Hope 2012 brings awesomeness to everyone!

EDIT: Wiring diagram attached. It was a 60 second photoshop creation, sorry if its slightly unclear.
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Okay just tried connecting to the test socket...
SAME THING HAPPENS! I dial 1471 or my mobile number or any number and then the internet disconnects. DSL and Internet lights switch off!

So im guessing this is a line fault? Anyone know how to proceed further? Dont think Plusnet will do anything due to the fact that it isnt disconnecting at plusnets side!
I have removed the iPlate and tested too, same thing happens with the iplate fitted and with it removed.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

raise a fault - disconnections and argue the toss