Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird BT Service Information web page

Ronski
Grafter

Weird BT Service Information web page

Hi all,
I've been plagued with the following webpage this afternoon, I've had it a few times before today recently, but today it's been very frequent.

It seems to affect all the computers in the house, and my mobile (via my wi-fi).
Sometimes it will happen all the time, whichever web pages I open, other times it only seems to affect certain web pages
Also stops Thunderbird collecting/sending email.
Anybody any idea why I'm getting this, anybody else been suffering or just me?
Edit: Just found a bit more information here, sounds a bit worrying.
Edit: And another more relevant one as it involves Plus Net.
2 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Weird BT Service Information web page

Hi Ronski,
We've seen this before with some routers, believe the ones we've seen have been Netgear related. Basically, it remembers all the DNS servers it's been issued for a given connection - even when given new ones (if there's a brief interruption that doesn't show as a drop, for example).
If the query to the current DNS servers fails, it falls back on previous ones. If you've been issued the BT DNS servers at some point, due to connecting when there's maintenance on or something, the router will eventually make a DNS query to those and that's why you get the pages.
If it is that, there's a couple of ways you can fix it. Either reboot the router (which means it may happen again) or manually assign the DNS servers in the router's interface (which should stop it from happening).
Hope that helps explain.
Ronski
Grafter

Re: Weird BT Service Information web page

It is a netgear router, I'll set the dns servers manually. Thanks.