cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weeks of problems and IGNORED by plusnet on open ticket! FED UP!

joseph1
Rising Star

Weeks of problems and IGNORED by plusnet on open ticket! FED UP!

Problems started in Nov 2018 with occasional loss of internet. Plusnet said it was my router was too old and I paid for a new one, delivery charge only. Problem continued and is still not resolved. Crashed again tonight. No internet and Internet LED is blanked out. Requires a manual reset every time which is not at all convenient.

Original ticket is still open but plusnet are just totally ignoring me now. I have been a customer about 17 years continually and really am disgusted with their ignorance. PLEASE, SOMEBODY FROM PLUSNET RESPOND!  

Question #184648061  Friday 16 Nov 2018

LAST EVER response was from the lady I very first spoke to about my fault:

[CSA Removed]***** - CSC Analyst
4:53pm, Thursday 13 Dec 2018      
(she wrote on the ticket) "please pick this back up, it should have been dealt with when the customer called back."

I have had problems that I repeatedly updated ticket with since then and been ignored!
Seems i am a nuisance customer and being totally ignored just to really **** me off!

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

73 REPLIES 73
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Weeks of problems and IGNORED by plusnet on open ticket! FED UP!

Hi there.

Firstly I'm really sorry for how this has been handled.

I've arranged for feedback to be passed on to the relevant adviser regarding this. 

To try to fix the problem you're experiencing I've made a change to a setting on your line. If you're still having issues after 1 hour, can you try the steps here letting us know how it goes please?

Apologies for the inconvenience and frustration this has caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
joseph1
Rising Star

Thanks for reply. My master socket is actually a BT ADSL V1.0 with direct connection for my router. If broadband is showing as connected ok, can it really be a telephone line problem? I was discussing this with a friend (who works in IT) yesterday and he said if the broadband led is permanently illuminated and ONLY the internet led is out, it shows that I am actually connected ok to BT broadband and the fault is elsewhere. He was also referred to dns problems and also described how I could check the ip address of my plusnet and copy it down, then see if it was still showing when the fault appeared. This was using a cmd prompt. (I use win 7) However, I cannot remember the exact details so have not tried any of that.

It failed again in the night and was off at 0600 this morning. Firstly, I unplugged my phone from the BT adsl socket and it still remained off. I then unplugged my adsl connection going to my router. After a short time, the broadband led went out. I reconnected the plug, and after less than a minute of flashing leds, I was back in full operation.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @joseph1 

The V1's still have a test socket behind the faceplate (as far as I am aware). 

The checks which have been provided are an important diagnostic step as it allows us to determine where about in the circuit the issue is present. 

I have tested for a WLR3 issue on the line and that test has come back as clear. That alongside the test results on Gandalf's ticket show no external fault on the line which could be causing these issues. 

The changes which Gandalf made have stuck, meaning that the SNR is back to where we would like to see it. 

The test socket really is the next step in the diagnostic flow. 

Can you give it a go and let us know the results? 

Thanks, 

MoR

ThePillenwerfer
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The command-line command you want is:—

ipconfig /all

The IP address of your router is the group of numbers after Default Gateway.   DNS Servers are a few lines down from that.  You'll have to scroll back up to see the relevant bit.

joseph1
Rising Star

Ok. The V1 has a telephone socket behind the panel. How will plugging my telephone into that check broadband? I did, but no problem showed up as expected. The router is plugged into the dedicated adsl filtered socket on the front panel and a filter is sealed within the v1. I am not using any external filter that I can plug into my phone socket within the v1 which is what I think you are looking for? Besides, when working ok, like it has been since 0600 when i disconnected and reconnected the router how will it show any fault?

All that will happen is unplugging, waiting and reconnecting adsl plug will clear the fault, until the next time

The v1 was fitted maybe 10 years ago when bt rewired my house back to the dp. This followed repeated problems of loss of broadband and very slow speed at the same time each day. This was eventually traced to emc radiation from a pc smpsu about 10 houses away that was also causing other subscribers similar problems. Solved when the owner had their psu replaced on their pc. Nothing has been changed in recent years on my premises and speed is around 8 MBps usually which is pretty good at this location. What I would like to know is if anything i can do next time i lose internet with broadband showing as connected. It is a random problem but very disruptive. It may be days before it next happens,

Thanks

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Plugging into the test socket removes any internal wiring.  It could also be the V1 that is faulty (and is therefore removed).  The test socket it the point where it stops being Openreaches problem and starts to be yours.  If an ISP sent an engineer and they found the fault to be within your wiring or equipment then there would be a charge from them for the visit.  By being able to replicate the issue from the test socket and with a different router, you are massively reducing the chance of that charge.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

joseph1
Rising Star

Sorry, I dont understand. Plugging what into the test socket? It is a telephone socket within the v1 , Bt provided the v1 (fitted with a direct adsl socket that i cannot bypass.) It is their property.

Thanks

joseph1
Rising Star

Also this is a new router supplied by plusnet as a means to cure the same fault back in mid November. 

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

You would need to plug the router into the test socket with a filter.  It doesn't matter if Openreach provided the faceplate or not.  Their responsibility is up to the test socket.

As you say, you have already ruled out the router being the issue by trying a different one. Whilst it's not impossible for them both to be faulty, the chances of the router causing it are greatly reduced.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Not sure why you are making so many excuses or perhaps you do not understand.

However, as already mentioned, the demarcation point is the test socket, anything after that, including the Mk1 filter and the router. Even though it was supplied in November, they can still go faulty. To use the test socket you will need a microfilter, one would have been supplied with the router, or you could ask PN for one.

Also if it was to cure a fault, I would suggest it didn't cure that fault, perhaps only masked it.

Although it may be frustrating, the more information and checks you can provide, the better able people either on here or PN will be able to help you fix your issues. 

HTH

joseph1
Rising Star

Broadband connected but no internet connection is the problem. Is there any single keyboard originated test I can do when this happens, either from my win 7 pc cmd or via logging into the router "helpdesk"? Would trying pinging the primary dns prove anything. 212.159.6.9  Unfortunately, As soon as i physically disconnect the adsl cable in my router (or power down) and reconnect it clears the fault. It is as if the plusnet internet part has disconnected and requires a handshake signal from my router to reconnect, which it then does.  My physical bt V1 adsl filter going intermittent and righting itself on its own is most unlikely as nothing physically disturbs the master socket. All that is connected is a cordless phone on the frontplate socket. No extensions whatsoever. 

To me, it is almost certainly a distant fault that is beyond my control or understanding. With all the electronics between my socket and the www there is a lot to fail. Just proving it is the problem.

If I try a plug in filter and the fault should still randomly occur, it will still not prove anything to bt, unless they physically observe the actual fault condition when they spend a few minutes on site here. They will still charge for no fault found. I have argued with them in the past and after months a special investigation was launched with a team from 40 miles away staying around 3 hours until the fault was observed. This was the pc down the street i mentioned earlier. They found the cause, despite both plusnet and bt each denying it was their fault over several months with me in the middle. 

joseph1
Rising Star

OK, Post crossed I will try the filter that came with the router. 

joseph1
Rising Star

Now fitted, will see what happens and report back if/when. 

From router helpdesk:

- Noise margin: 5.9/6.0

is the same

7 - Data rate: 910/8625

was 910/8807

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Cool, so a small improvement already?

Is that a 2704N/Hub 0 you have? Does it have a max attainable rate?

Are you connecting via a wired or WiFi connection?

Have PN supplied a Radius connection report - if so do they match the drops you see - if not you should ask for one?