cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webspace utilisation reporting

drw
Grafter

Webspace utilisation reporting

Checked to day and discovered that it is saying that I am using twice the amount I should be using  - Is there a problem with the Web Space utilisation reporting feature at the moment?Huh
9 REPLIES 9
drw
Grafter

Re: Webspace utilisation reporting

Yes - quite a few but it is space usage rather than access usage that it is referring to.
drw
Grafter

Just web space - do not understand the other acronym <g>
drw
Grafter

Just noticed that I have two htdocs directories  - one is called htdocs the other is called htdocs.20080119031713
from what I can see both contain the same information.
Tony_W
Grafter

I believe that the htdocs.20080119031713 directory was created as a backup when they were moving servers back in January.
I think I recall that the system went down while they were transfering stuff to new servers, and they put that folder there from a backup - it was something like that.
I also have a directory with a similar name. I believe that it is safe to delete it now since the January 'crisis' is over.
Can someone from PN please confirm this?
Also, PN must have thousands of megabytes of wasted space as eveyone has probably got a similar near duplicate of their webspace. Shouldn't PN either notify people, or possibly delete it it is has been unused since January - after all, they created it rather than us.
Tony
mikeb
Rising Star

The 'spare' copy of your htdocs directory is a result of the homepages outage that occurred somewhere around 15th January.  When users sites were finally restored, some (maybe most) users ended up with duplicated htdocs directories. The duplicate looks something like htdocs.20080119095401 and I seem to remember PN stating that this duplicate directory would be removed within 1 month and WOULD NOT be counted when assessing space used.  I think it might be just a tad more than a month since then Tongue
I did raise a ticket when I first found it because I couldn't delete the directory myself due to "permission errors" but whether that was part of the problems at the time or standard practise I don't know.  The ticket response said "... Our investigation team are fully aware of the duplicate htdocs folder and are working on the removal of these currently." I think the 1 month period was subsequently mentioned on here somewhere.  Either way, it's still there.
Edited to add: D'oh, must learn to type faster and not get interrupted mid reply !  Just checked on the portal and it is indeed being counted in space used as my figures are 200% of reality.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
Tony_W
Grafter

@mikeb
I have deleted a subdirectory of the 'spare copy' without any permission problems. I have not tried the whole 'spare' directory.
I could remove almost all of the content by removing subfolders.
However, I just want confirmation from PN that it is a wise thing to do.
Tony
mikeb
Rising Star

I didn't bother trying again after finding "chmoding" it didn't solve the permission problem and then being told that PN were going to deal with it.  In any case, removing the duplicate if PN were going to be running an (untested :P) script at some point in time sounded to me rather like it could well be a recipe for having your main htdocs directory removed instead !!  I would leave well alone if I were you Wink

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
Mand
Grafter

Hi guys,
I have to admit I'm not sure where we got to with this one, but will chase on Monday with the networks team and get these duplicate directories removed.
Tony_W
Grafter

@Mand
Was anything decided over this?
The folder is still there on my webspace.
Tony