Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Websites okay but YouTube too slow?

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Websites okay but YouTube too slow?

Hi all.

Not sure exactly how this is working but opening Web pages is fine, but YouTube is literally unplayable. It's always buffering and sometimes fails completely. I've changed wifi channels but sadly to no avail. And it usually happens in the late evenings. 

So what could be the problem?

Thanks. 

9 REPLIES 9
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Websites okay but YouTube too slow?

Hi there,

My tests aren't identifying any issues. Do you have the same problems using a wired connection? Does the issue occur over multiple devices? And, through multiple streaming websites?

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Cagney1994
Rising Star

@Gandalf - Hi

There's no problem with a wired connection. It's possibly a wif one. And I normally tend to use Youtube for videos. Incidentally when I accessed YT through a browser, it's fine. Very odd.

Also YT's ok in the early hours. I may have to either get a new router that's 5 Ghz so there'll be less chance of interference or move my current one around in the house (where there's not much congestion on the channels). I'll try the latter first but I need to get a longer RJ11 cable.

I'll see if I can keep this thread updated when I do so.

One more thing; it seems the problems occur on standalone devices like a tablet or phone. On the laptop, there's no issues with YT.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

5GHz might not help too much.  The higher frequency signals do not have the same range as the 2.4GHz band.

Try using something like inSIDDer V3 (that's the last free one) to inspect the WiFi spectrum.  Then find a channel out of 1,6,11 which has least other stations and has no over-lapping channels.  Co-resident is far better than over-lapping if none of the above are clear.

Having chosen one of the above, change your router settings from AUTO to use that channel.  It is possible that if the spectrum is busy that the wifi channel is bobbing around a lot.  Wifi devices can take a few seconds to track dynamic channel changes - something which would not be overly noticeable when just browsing the web, but could be discernible when streaming.

HTH.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Cagney1994
Rising Star

@Townman - I've changed channels (using the usual ones like 1,6, and 11) but still nothing. And re. a 5 ghz router, I appreciate that the range will be limited but it'll also limit the amount of interference which is the main crux of the problem.

I normally tend to use Wifi analyzer to see what the situation's like. There's just too many damn users on nearly every channel.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's possibly the next step may be to purchase a wifi booster or a more powerful router.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

@Gandalf,

Are these not the same routers as used by BT - "... providing the strongest wifi signals in the U.K. ..."?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Not if we're talking about the Technicolor 582n or the Sagemcom 2704n.

Cagney1994
Rising Star

@Gandalf - The Wifi signal is absolutely fine. It's just a problem of congestion on most of the channels. And when you say a powerful router, do you mean one that'll be a 5 Ghz?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

A more powerful router with 5Ghz may be the solution. To get round the range issue, depending on your budget, you could look at purchasing powerline adapters with 5Ghz WiFi too.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet