Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam

stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Webcam

, My daughter has recently moved a long way from us. Which is the best webcam for communicating  with them over the internet,and to talk with her and the children, individualy or possibly as a group
With messenger or maybe something similar (any ideas)  They are so diverse in price, would it be best to
have the same at each end , and how about a microphone I notice some are sold in pairs . Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Webcam

As for software I would give Skype a look;
www.skype.com
Chilly
stathe
Rising Star

It seems I have to subscribe for this  ?
7th_star
Grafter

Skype calls to other skype users are totally free - no subs required.
I don't know which cam to suggest specifically, but I use Logitech, as they are well made and the customer support at Logitech - should anything go wrong with your device - is excellent.
stathe
Rising Star

With skype I have to sign in and buy time ,I would rather use a free service,
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

You only buy time if you are calling a landline phone. PC to PC communication is free.
Rikaitch
Grafter

First of all, hardware: I'd recommend a logitech. Logitech are the only recognised and tested webcams for Microstuffed, and to be honest I've never seen one that hasn't worked simply and reliably.
Secondly, Skype. Skype is really best for telephony only. The webcam is only just past beta stage, and is 'chunky' at best. I used Skype for the audio side of calls, but I'd use something as simple as Windows Live messenger for the video, maybe with Skype for the audio in the background. When you sign up to Skype, you create an account, and this is used to sign in. It's completely free, until you want to dial a land based phone number, then they want a credit card etc. If you keep it free, it'll do the job for you. TBH I use Skype free almost everyday, because my family are all in Florida, and calling from the UK is not very good quality, sometimes has a .5 second lag, and is very expensive.
craig_p
Grafter

Hi
i use a logitech quick cam pro 5000 £34.58 on amazon, and also skype to keep in contact with my mum.  we both have fairly good spec computers and max dsl broadband connections. she also has the same cam  the video quality on skype is very good for me  and the inbuilt mic on the web cam sounds like she is in the same room. make sure you both have the same version of skype installed but as for cost, i use it every day for free by calling pc to pc. 
one you get it to work you wounder how you lived without it.
hope this helps
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I agree the Logitech Quickcam Pro 5000 is a great webcam - works very well.
A word or warning if you use Thunderbird as your email client.  If you try and do a Thunderbird upgrade it will fail if Logitech webcam is active. This is a known issue.  You have to close webcam, do Thunderbird install or upgrade, then open webcab again.