cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebMail error

Mav
Fixes: 515

WebMail error

Logged in to check my emails while away and had no problems with any of my mail boxes but one.
The spam box had over 1800 emails. I set, show all then Toggle All. I then clicked the Delete buttn and after a short while got the error message:
ERROR:
ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
Query: COPY 4110:5964 "INBOX.Trash"

I clicked the Inbox link and all messages still there with the deault setting of 200 at a time shown.
I then toggled each page of 200 one at a time and deleted them. That appeared to work except that, after the last page was deleted, nothing was showing next to the Trash Link and the Inbox still showed 1800+ emails. Clicked on the Inbox link and all emails still showing.
Is this a known error or has something just gone wrong?
Cheers

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

3 REPLIES 3
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: WebMail error

But it's worked before.
I'll try 100 at a time.
But, what's the point of having a 200 messages view option if you cannot delete them at that rate?
Cheers
Edit: Just reduced display to 100 messages and was able to delete them but there were 22 pages to delete.
Would have been easier if I could have been able to display all and delete all in one go.
Still, at least I don't know have to download possibly 6000 or 7000 messages by the time I get home Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Mav, are these messages in the 'Spam' folder? If so there is another way to bulk delete them using telnet if you're comfortable with that. This should work even when you're getting the Connection dropped my IMAP server error.
First telnet to the IMAP server:
C:\Users\Bobby>telnet imap.plus.net 143
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFER
ENCES SORT QUOTA] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2005 Double Precision, Inc.
  See COPYING for distribution information.

Next you need to login. Note here that each command needs to start with a separator of some sort followed by a <space>. I don't think it matters too much what you use as the separator however here I've used a dot:
. LOGIN $username $passwd
. OK LOGIN Ok.

Where $username and $psswd are replaced with your mailbox username and password.
Next list the directories on the server:
. LIST """*"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Virus"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Drafts"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Trash"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Sent"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Spam"
* LIST (\Unmarked \HasChildren) "." "INBOX"

You'll see the 'Spam' folder in this list. Now what we'll do is delete it completely:
. DELETE INBOX.Spam
. OK Folder deleted.

Now re-create the 'Spam' folder:

. CREATE INBOX.Spam
. OK "INBOX.Spam" created.

Remember to log-out else the above may not work:
. LOGOUT
* BYE Courier-IMAP server shutting down
. OK LOGOUT completed

Now, when you login to Webmail you should find an empty 'Spam' folder awaiting you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

andyrogers
Grafter

How do i go about emptying my spam folder if it is in my mailbox.
i use the command ". LOGIN username+mailbox password" but i keep on getting an error message from the IMAP server.
Thansk
Andy