cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web pages timing out

JamesM
Grafter

Web pages timing out

The internet was working fine this morning, but now the only page I can access is PN, and this forum. Every other webpage times out, I even tried skype and that will not connect. I have done a router restart and that has not fixed it.
The main PN site and the forums work but any other PN page like help and support take an age to come up. Sevice information times out, as do alot of other PN pages.
Edit,
I can also see the little circle in the title bar address box is just going round and round when I am on the forums, but it is stopping and starting when I am trying to access any other web page.
Just done a factory reset, took me bloody ages to get back online and it is still not working. Is there still problems with Plusnet ?
11 REPLIES 11
JamesM
Grafter

Re: Web pages timing out

I am getting pissed off now, I finally got onto the contact page to get the number for technical issues. It still says there are problems but power down for 65 minutes and that will be it. I powered down and now I can't get a connection. (Typing this down at my Mum's.)
Anybody from PN care to elaborate or do I just keep on wasting my time trying to fix something that cant be fixed. Angry
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Why not give support a call and speak to an agent about the problem? The digital care staff who monitor the forums are unlikely to be around again until Monday.
Support number 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200.
David
JamesM
Grafter

Ok so I went down to my Mum's to type the last update, watched a question of sport, then went back on my Mum's computer to check for replies and now my Mum's internet is down again. Came home and mine is now working  Huh
Spraxyt, thanks for the advice but I when I called support this afternoon it was about a 25 minute wait.
IMO If they are having problems they should just say that instead of telling you to turn your router off for 65 minutes and all will be well.
"What we have here, is failure to communicate".
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi JamesM,
Unfortunately we did experience some connectivity issues on Friday, these are all now resolved.
Out of interest where did you see the power down for 65 minutes?
JamesM
Grafter

It was on the recorded message when I phoned the 0800 432 0200 number, option 2, then 3 from memory.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'll like to know why some of the recent Service Status notices have been suggesting a Modem/router power down for 20 minutes or so, when logging to the Modem/router interface and clicking on Connect/Disconnect for the Internet PPP session is usually sufficient. Is it that some of these Thomson Modem/routers too easily lock up when there is a loss of connectivity?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks, in these instances we shouldn't really be advising to power down for 65 minutes, so I will investigate as to why this was put on there.
@Anotherone Again not something that is ideal to put and something we are looking at, but not all users are aware on how to log into the routers interface. I agree clicking on Connect/Disconnect for the Internet PPP session is usually sufficient.
Anotherone
Champion

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

A good and sensible compromise, let's see what happens  Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: chrispurvey
I agree clicking on Connect/Disconnect for the Internet PPP session is usually sufficient.

The point is that it's not just sufficient but if it works a far, far better method as it removes the risk of the DLM stepping in which can happen if people reboot multiple times.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

It of course also means, at night, if you avoid a resync you avoid a lower sync speed and profile when you are not next to the exchange, & on 20CN an after dark resync is a bastard because it takes at least 3 1/2 days to recover  Angry