cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web browsing painfully slow

Garpov
Dabbler

Web browsing painfully slow

Hi, i just activated braodband for the first time about 4 hours ago. Most websites are loading very slowly, or don't load at all. Downloads are incredibly slow. Some websites seem to work fine eg. Youtube.
I know that speeds will vary in the first ten days, is this just part and parcel of it?
BT speedtest shows 17.5mbps down, 1.05mbps up
1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: N7150231B012692
3 - Firmware version: 7.273.1_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 00:15:38
7 - Data rate: 1195/22059
8 - Maximum data rate: 1192/21864
9 - Noise margin: 6.3/6.0
10 - Line attenuation: 5.8/13.5
12 - Data sent/received: 1.3M/5.7M
20 - Broadband username:
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID:
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address:
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.273.1
11 REPLIES 11
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Web browsing painfully slow

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing problems. I don't think this is anything to do with a training period though.
It's odd that Youtube seems to work fine - Do you get the same problem in all browsers?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Garpov,
Welcome to the forums.
Can you please redo the BTw speed test and do the FURTHER DIAGNOSTICS test - please report the DS profile figure - should be circa 19.28Mbps.
Also go check the PlusNet "current speed" in the connections section of the user portal.  That should be 19.2Mbps.
Was that speed test done over a wired or a wifi connection?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Our side is set right, I've checked that Wink
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Garpov
Dabbler

Hi, Townman - DS profile figure is 19.44 mbps. The test was done on a wifi connection. I'm not sure what you mean by "user portal", i can't see current speed in the router settings.
Plusnettony - Thanks for checking, the same problem occurs in Internet Explorer and Chrome.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Plustnettony has confirmed that the PlusNet 'current line speed' is set correctly, but for future reference it's at: Member Centre (login required) > Go to my account > connection settings (more) > High speed broadband.
If your good line stats were achieved wired, it's possible you have a poor wifi signal or are on a severely congested wifi channel - you may have to experiment with different positions for the router and possibly a different channel too (set via the router interface.)
(If your stats were also achieved via wifi, I give up, although it's always worth experimenting to make sure it's delivering the best possible speed for your particular location.)
Garpov
Dabbler

The stats i posted were on wifi. I've also now tried on a wired connection and am having the same problem.
I switched from SKY broadband, which was still working right up until i started using the plusnet router, is this normal? Is it possible for both to be working at the same time.
I don't understand how i have the same speed according to speed checkers, but pages are taking forever to load, where as on SKY just minutes earlier everything loaded instantly.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fishy this one!
Can you try a wired connection between your PC and the router and redo the BTw speed tests.  Note when connecting the cable, please switch of wifi on the PC to ensure that the wifi link is NOT being used, even though you've put wire in.
Edit to make sense!  Embarrassed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Garpov
Dabbler

Unfortunately i have to rearrange the entire living room to plug in the wired connection, and i've just put everything back!
Are there any settings i should be looking for? DNS server - currently on Auto, Firewall settings on Default, Enable Dynamic DNS Service is set to No. These are the router settings.
Are there any settings in Member Centre - Connection settings i should check?
This is really frustrating, every speed test i do shows around 17mbps.
jem16
Grafter

Quote from: Garpov
I switched from SKY broadband, which was still working right up until i started using the plusnet router, is this normal? Is it possible for both to be working at the same time.

I had exactly the same when I switched over from Sky. PlusNet told me I had moved over but my Sky router was still working.
I don't understand how i have the same speed according to speed checkers, but pages are taking forever to load, where as on SKY just minutes earlier everything loaded instantly.

I can't remember speed test results but I had the same issue on moving over from Sky. Changing over from my Sky router to PlusNet router everything was fine for about an hour. Then web pages wouldn't load and everything was like treacle. Eventually tried rebooting the router and then I couldn't connect at all - BB light flashing. Phoned PlusNet who seemed to be diagnosing a fault and then suddenly it started working - no idea why. This was the thread I posted at the time.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133378.msg1165777.html#msg1165777
If you haven't already tried this, I would suggest a graceful disconnect tomorrow during daylight hours. Log in to your router and click disconnect. Then power off for at least 10 minutes and then power up again. See what happens then.
Unfortunately, as I later discovered, part of the problem was severe noise issues with the DS SNRM dropping to around 1.5db - this was when I experienced the slowness.
Garpov
Dabbler

Hi jem16, thanks for the reply, gives me a bit of hope that things will improve. I'll try what you say tomorrow, failing that i'll have to make a phone call to support.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

At this juncture I suspect support can do nothing to help unless there is a high error rate on the line.  The xDSL details all look fine.  At the moment my money is on a wifi issue.