Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web browsing painfully slow at times

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Web browsing painfully slow at times

Anyoine else having problems with basic web browsing slowing down to a crawl or just websites not loading?
10 REPLIES 10
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Web browsing painfully slow at times

...Only on a wireless Android tablet after an update to the Chrome browser (release 48.)
Very slow browsing and even when page finally loaded, swiping down the page was also very slow. Installed Firefox browser and problem went away, as it did this morning with the Chrome browser after 2 days of grief. I changed nothing.
(Filed under 'unexplained' - not the first item in the file!  :-\)
dalehurlin
Dabbler

Hi
Not sure if you are having the same issue but I have it where a page is slow or down not load. I click refresh and it loads instantly.
I just tried to do a ping to google.com and got the following
Pinging google.com [198.18.1.137] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 198.18.1.137:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
I then immediately hit the up key and enter to immediately do it again and it is perfect
Pinging google.com [216.58.198.110] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 216.58.198.110: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=57
Reply from 216.58.198.110: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=57
Reply from 216.58.198.110: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=57
Reply from 216.58.198.110: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=57
Ping statistics for 216.58.198.110:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 39ms, Average = 23ms
This is happening regularly for the last month or so.
Any advice in appreciated.
Thanks
bsoord

second that - pages very slow to respond.  often fail to download images, very slow all round.  Seen a lot of people moaning about this lately, some saying to switch to google public DNS servers but I think that needs TELNET jiggery pokery which we shouldn' t have to bogged down with....
anyone got a simple fix for this?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello. Have you tried a factory reset of your router as that usually resolves this kind of issue?
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

@Dalehurlin - go read the tail end of this thread - https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134916.0.html
@Anouch - a factory reset is not going to fix this issue - please seek guidance from Bob Pullen who has established a protocol for this issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ClassicLaddie
Dabbler

I noticed a similar regular problem where browsing to a site gave a 'page not displayed' and refreshing the page got there instantly on the second attempt after migrating to Plusnet. It happened with all browsers i use( chrome, firefox and Safari). I use my own router and it has always been set to accept the ISP DNS.  After reading the other thread mentioned in this post some time ago, I decided to try changing my DNS to a non Plusnet service and since doing so the issue has cleared. If i'd had the time I would have set up a Wireshark to try and catch the issue. That may have proved whether or not DNS was to blame but i'll just put it down to 'unexplained internet stuff' for now.  Most routers that have a GUI will have an option to add manual DNS setting but I understand this could be daunting for non techy users. Most computers also allow you to add selected DNS in the network adapter settings, that might be a less techy option than telnetting to a router?
dalehurlin
Dabbler

Thanks for the info. As opposed to changing the router to overcome the spooflist issue I changed my DNS addresses from my routers IP to alternates and touch wood it is working.
annie2355
Fixes: 1

Yes, I am having the same ongoing problems as you are.  The broadband speed is apparently fine, upload speed is also fine.  But I want to launch my PC through the window as the pages take anything up to 2 mins to change pages.  Ebay is the worst, but sometimes its Facebook too.  Yet Youtube is absolutely fine.  I have found it pointless contacting Plusnet as they tell you its your computer, so I got my PC man to have a look at it and there is nothing he can find causing the slow page load or page changes once you are on a website.  Having spoken to friends, it appears that this is something unique to Plusnet, but Plusnet dont have a clue how to fix it.  Very unhappy with the service.

neil2020

Hi, I have been having problems since upgrading my laptop to Windows 10 from Win 7.Browsing used to be fast, but now there is a long lag in loading websites - drives me mad. Our other PC has kept Win 7 and does not have the problem. Also, when I use the laptop to access the public wi-fi in our library (not a Plusnet client), browsing there is very fast. So, it seems to me that there is a problem with communication between the laptop (with Win 10) and the Plusnet router, perhaps a matter of finding a new driver (or getting a new router). Does this ring a chord with you?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Hi,

No it's not a matter of getting a new driver or router.  If you have the TG582n router, the solution is in a couple of posts above.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.