Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weather causing connection drops?

Method0ne
Grafter

Weather causing connection drops?

Hey again guys!
Just had my adsl2 service activated (as of the 2nd) and since then have had a few issues with the connection staying stable, I know there's a 10 day retraining period active currently and that it could be causing the problems, but I'm fairly certain it isn't that.
Over the last few days we've had some atrocious weather with 30mph+ winds and torrential rain, and I have a fairly good idea that this is what's causing my connection to drop as during this time my SNR has been all over the place, at the moment it's stable at 5.9-6.0 but during the bad weather was dropping well below 4.0.
Currently my connections been stable for nearly 19hrs, which is about when the weather subsided.
Is there any chance at all that it actually *is* the weather that's been causing this, and if so, is there anything that can be done about it?
A few years back everyone connected to the pole outside my house had problems due to water getting into the line-connectors on said pole, and I'm hoping this isn't the start of it happening again, as last time the phones were out completely for a few days and started with the same circumstances (bad weather, dropping connections etc).
8 REPLIES 8
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Weather causing connection drops?

Absolutely there's a chance, as you state in your last paragraph Smiley
Best thing to do would be to raise an intermittent connection fault through the troubleshooter and when it offers to let you add any notes or comments state that the problem is related to the weather and only drops when it's bad.
We'll pick it up from there and get it investigated for you.
Method0ne
Grafter

Right, after going through the tests on the connection fault form, I'm still having issues, in fact, I don't even know if the ticket went through properly due to my connection drops.
Currently I've been connected to the test socket for the last 8 hours or more and since then have tried and re-tried to go back through the ticket to make sure everything has been filled in properly and yet all that happens when I try to check the details is that I get a page saying "You have supplied all the details we have requested" even though when I check for open tickets on my account it displays none.
Any chance of someone looking into this for me to find out what's going on?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It looks like you went through the faults troubleshooter but then closed the ticket? The tests are in place to confirm that the fault is outside your premises (i.e. therefore a line fault that needs reporting) as well as to fix any issues with your own phone network from the master socket inwards. If it's still apparent when the tests are done you've proved exactly that, and the fault will be passed to our dedicated team who will investigate and raise the issue with our suppliers.
If you could run through it again but leave it open we'll make sure we get it investigated for you.
Method0ne
Grafter

Don't recall closing it, might have erroneously clicked somewhere while trying to run through some of the tests though, I'll run through it again for you.
Edit;
Just tried to open another ticket using the same options as before, only I'm getting the following
Broadband Troubleshooter Unavailable
There is currently a fault open in our systems for your line. This may be as a result of an old fault, or a system error.
A problem has been raised, and will be investigated by our developers. In the meantime, if you're still having problems with your broadband please give us a call.

If this is due to my apparent cock-up with the original ticket, then my apologies to you, as it seems at present I can't do much on my end.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
For the time being if you could call. I'll have to look into that, as there are no open fault tickets on your account.
Jojo Smiley
Method0ne
Grafter

Was hoping it wouldn't come to that, but I guess I'll go get the phone.
(Nothing personal or anything, I just generally dislike talking on the phone)
Edit;
Just been on with phone support who advise waiting until the line is out of it's retraining period, which I fully understand, I just hope there are no further issues.
To be honest, I wouldn't have even brought it up if I hadn't had similar issues around this time of year that were directly weather related and manifested themselves in the same way.
I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens, hopefully it *is* just the retraining that's causing it, and not something more serious.
Cheers for the helpful info though Matt, and you Joanne Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Method0ne
Broadband Troubleshooter Unavailable
There is currently a fault open in our systems for your line. This may be as a result of an old fault, or a system error.
A problem has been raised, and will be investigated by our developers. In the meantime, if you're still having problems with your broadband please give us a call.
If this is due to my apparent cock-up with the original ticket, then my apologies to you, as it seems at present I can't do much on my end.

HI Method0ne,
Sorry for the inconvenience. I've raised an internal problem (69454) to look into this. If anyone else who has a recently closed fault gets the same error message when going to http://faults.plus.net can you please let me know as it will help with our investigation.
Thanks,
Jojo Smiley
Method0ne
Grafter

No problem at all.
Sorry for breaking your fault system Wink