cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak wi-fi upstairs - replace TG582n or add a wireless range extender ?

MarkBevan

Weak wi-fi upstairs - replace TG582n or add a wireless range extender ?

I'm on PlusNet Fibre (80/20) with the standard TG582n router.  I'm experiencing a weak signal and disconnects, in one room upstairs.
I have moved the TG582n around downstairs as much as I can to try to help (limited by the location of the BT master socket of course), but it hasn't helped enough. My son's iPhone keeps switching from wi-fi to 3G, which could prove expensive !
I have read that the TG582n isn't great in terms of the strength of it's wi-fi signal.  I was thinking of either putting a wireless range extender on the landing upstairs (the TP-Link TL-WA830RE seems both decent & cheap), or replacing the TG582n with something better.  Any advice on which approach to take (wireless range extender or replacement router) or any specific  recommendations on hardware ?
I'm no networking expert.  I imagine there are plenty of you around here that are and many must have already faced & solved this problem Wink  Thanks in advance !
Cheers
Mark
1 REPLY 1
beetnik
Grafter

Re: Weak wi-fi upstairs - replace TG582n or add a wireless range extender ?

The supplied router has a number of limitations and, whilst the extender option will work, I'm of the opinion that you'd be better spending a little bit extra and getting another router. This route also means you have a spare router if you ever run into problems.
Along with a number of others I've bought an Asus RT N66U. It's a superb piece of kit and I get a better signal in a remote room than I do using an extender.