cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak iPad wifi signal

Ammy
Grafter

Weak iPad wifi signal

Can anyone offer a suggestion to this problem, please? My iPad 2 was working fine until the middle of last week when it - for no apparent reason - refused to "find" my Plusnet network.
If I stand next to the router it will connect (albeit with only two bars), but as soon as I walk more than 10 feet away it drops the connection completely. I tried the usual Apple help websites and did as they suggested: restart iPad and router, switch wifi off and on, reset network settings, turn off auto brightness (?!)... but to no avail. The iPad works fine on other people's networks thus ruling out a hardware problem. iPad is running the latest OS, before someone asks.
I've just installed a new Plusnet Technicolor router, but there's still no improvement.
Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.
23 REPLIES 23
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Weak iPad wifi signal

Do you have any other wireless devices to test whether it's a router or iPad issue?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
Sorry to hear that you're having issues with one of our routers.
I'd advise trying the same advice as I've posted here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116653.msg1008193.html#msg1008193
Do be aware that there isn't a version of the software I've mentioned in that post that's available for iOS but if you have a PC or a Mac running iOS then versions are available.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Ammy
Grafter

Thanks Adam. I did you as you suggested but still not working.
AndyH: It works fine on other networks and both my iPhone and Macbook Air can connect. Thanks for posting
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Sometimes tapping 'Forget network' and re-adding helps, but not always.
That's RPM to you!!
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've had similar behaviour before when my iPhone wouldn't connect to the office WiFi, but I asked our sysadmin next to me and his was on it fine. So ruled out it being the access point.
Worth trying forget network, power off the iPad completely (not just standby, hold the power button down to switch off and on).
Also try a soft reset by holding down the power and home buttons.
Powering off and on fixed my issue.
Ammy
Grafter

Thanks. Tried all suggestions but it's still not fixed.
Ammy
Grafter

Further to the above...  Attached is a report of the signal strength of the various networks around me. Shouldn't I expect my network (PlusnetWireless) to be somewhat lower than -66? Considering the router is in the next room...
AndyH
Grafter

You could do a full reset (Reset all Settings) of the iPad (make sure you do an iCloud backup first) and see if you still have problems.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

have you tried changing the wireless channel on your router? i find 12 seems to work best with my iDevices.
EDIT: having seen your post  I would definitely try 12 instead of 13, 13 is not available in the US and although that shouldn't make a difference, it might. 
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Ammy
Grafter

AndyH: I did that a few days ago.
Dvorak: I was running on channel 12.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I thought the US only goes up to channel 11, plus in theory it's better to be on the same channel as other networks rather than partially overlap.
AndyH
Grafter

Have you tried doing a total settings/data reset then seeing if the problem exists?
I had a similar Wifi problem that Apple thinks was caused by an app (had so many and never reinstalled most of them so will never know). But doing the settings/content reset fixed it for me.
Ammy
Grafter

AndyH: Yep, tried that. Still can't get it to work.
AndyH
Grafter

Have you tried any other wireless networks to see if it's doing the same?