Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We only get stable internet when plugged direct into test socket

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: We only get stable internet when plugged direct into test socket

Don't bother to post a picture of that Block filter that looks like a socket splitter - get rid of it - it is a grossly inferior filter that is undoubtedly why you are experiencing problems. ALL the filters that you use should be Microfilters that look like this.
You haven't commented about your Extension sockets and whether they are all Secondary types.
As you have been having a number of losses of sync, from now on you will be better disconnecting in the following manner when you want to unplug the modem/router or filter, front plate etc from the line -
Login to the modem/router (as you would for stats) see here and either click on Broadband Connection on the LH menu where you will see what is shown in section 5 (and how to get stats), and in the lower Internet box click "Disconnect"  or do that from the first screen.
Then pause before powering down the modem/router. Wait a minute before unplugging things from the line.
This procedure will help to prevent the Exchange Dynamic Line Management (DLM) from thinking you have a (worse) dropping connection. Which will ultimately result in a raised Target Noise Margin and/or on 21CN Banded speed, both of which give you lower speed than your line should achieve.
Take at least 10 minutes changing whatever, in this case Filters, before reconnecting and powering up again. I recommend doing this no more than 5 times in an hour and leave for the rest of the day thereafter. After powering up, login to the modem/router and click "Connect" if it hasn't automatically.
In view of what has already happened. it would be a good idea if you did a copy and paste of your current modem/router stats (don't forget to click "View more.." first, and then post the new stats taken immediately after power up after the filers have been changed.
Quote from: ReedRichards
................ and no telephone is connected then the quality of the filter is immaterial.  

I'm sorry RR that is not right, the quality of the filter is of material importance even when a phone is not connected but becomes more so when a phone is connected.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

see my post #9  Grin
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Anotherone
Don't bother to post a picture of that Block filter that looks like a socket splitter

I didn't ask for a picture of the filter in the master socket that we've already seen, I asked for a picture of the filter being used to plug the telephone in to the extension socket (we know it's in an extension because it stops working when the test socket is used). I requested that for two reasons: to confirm one is actually installed (unless I've missed it we haven't determined that) and to see if that is also a duff block filter).
I'd also stress the importance of the tests of incoming and outgoing calls. It is apparently stable when in the test socket and in the master when the bell wire has been snipped but that could just be a co-incidence if the phone hasn't been used.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

With all due respect, who cares what it looks like if it's not a Rat's Tail type. And
Quote from: Oldjim
The obvious and unhelpful answer is either your internal wiring or you have something plugged in without a filter

The "or" we could actually make an "and/or"
jelv
Seasoned Hero

How do you know it's not a rats tail type?
weareharris
Dabbler

Guys I can confirm that the internet crashed 5 hours ago suggesting that the issue has still not been resolved after removing the bell cable.
I don't think the micro filter is the problem because the one used is the first one I could find and we have previously used the rats tail filter and issues still occurred.
Many thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you confirm that all items attached to the phone line are filtered
weareharris
Dabbler

I'll give you a response shortly jim awaiting for the household member who has a little more knowledge.
Cheers
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Did the crash coincide with use of the phone? Did you do the checks of use of the phone as I suggested?
You keep saying 'the filter'. If you have the router plugged in to one socket and the telephone in to another you MUST use two filters (one for each) otherwise problems are guaranteed.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: ReedRichards
................ and no telephone is connected then the quality of the filter is immaterial.  

I'm sorry RR that is not right, the quality of the filter is of material importance even when a phone is not connected but becomes more so when a phone is connected.

This is going off topic (for which I apologise) but I would be really interested if you can explain how that can possibly be true.
Anotherone
Champion

I'll send you a PM.
weareharris
Dabbler

Hello guys.
Sorry for the lack of updates..
I just wanted to test your basic suggestions first.
We have:
1: Removed bell cable
2: Re-wired white and blue cables.
So far seems stable (1 day uptime+).
Could someone advise what is so called the 'average' uptime is?
Thanks
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

A stable connection should stay up indefinitely, subject to the modem/router being kept switched on and there being no external events causing a general outage affecting your area.
Some connections are of course shorter and/or better than others which are of necessity obliged to run closer to the "ragged edge" of reliability, which leads to the very grey area of what constitutes a fault.  Undecided
I would personally be asking questions (starting with checking my home set up) about a connection which dropped more than once a week, but my guess is there is no "ball park" uptime figure.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I start to wonder what is happening if I can't keep a continuous connection of several days.