Did you mean: 

We only get stable internet when plugged direct into test socket

weareharris
Dabbler

We only get stable internet when plugged direct into test socket

Hello.
Constantly our internet has been crashing when plugged into this:

But when we connect the ADSL cable into this:

It's really stable and doesnt crash. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
Thanks
28 REPLIES 28
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: We only get stable internet when plugged direct into test socket

The obvious and unhelpful answer is either your internal wiring or you have something plugged in without a filter
The first check is to plug into the front socket with nothing else plugged in - no phones, no Sky box, etc. - and if you have a monitored alarm is that filtered
If that solves the problem then your wiring may not be the problem
If it doesn't the next thing is to look at your internal wiring.
When you removed the lower front plate how many wires are connected to it and what are the colours. A photo would be nice which you can attach to your post using the Additional Options and Attachments link in the lower left of the posting window
weareharris
Dabbler

Ok, at this point of picture, ADSL cable is plugged into test socket and therefore stable. When faceplate is put on and then ADSL connected, connection is intermittent.
mushy
Grafter

Not my area and im sure some one will be along shortly to advise further but loks like there is an extension connected with bell wire also connected, you might want to try disconnecting the wire to number 3 and try it as i think that can cause some issues.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Pull out the bell wire (3). Simples.  Cheesy
(the orange one)
weareharris
Dabbler

Can you explain why that would resolve (just for my interest) thanks.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The bell wire acts as an aerial picking up interference, It's connected by the ring capacitor which is in the backplate of the master to one leg of the line and "unbalances" the line at the interfering frequencies.
However, as the front plate is one of the later ones and has the basic bell wire filter, I expect something else is also amiss.
How many extension sockets do you have? Is the colour of the wires connected to them the same as those at the front faceplate?
Are all the extension sockets dead when the faceplate is removed? What is normally plugged in at the various sockets?
Edit: Are all your extension sockets "Secondary" sockets are shown here ie. none have a yellow (or white) ring capacitor.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If you don't want to mess around pulling wires, I have found a 'vDSL' interstitial plate to be very effective (e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interstitial-Faceplate-BT-Compatible-Distributed/dp/B006VX2P1M). ; This splits off the broadband at the master socket (so you must want to locate your router there) but is very good at removing problems on the internal telephone wiring.  You fit it between the detachable faceplate and the socket. 
weareharris
Dabbler

Thanks folks. As we have easy access we're going to attempt solution 1 (remove bell wire) all phones still work and internet is back on. Faceplate has been placed back on and I will edit this post to show my uptime for the next 24 hours to allow you guys to see if it was a likely solution. Before we had 10-15 crashes per day (especially in evening).
Current setup:

Uptime at (working 12pm-8pm unable to monitor at these times):
(12/01)
09:00 - Faceplate connected, Bell cable removed.
09:30 - Uptime: 0 days, 0:30:01 (0 crashes)
10:30 - Uptime: 0 days, 1:30:01 (0 crashes)
11.30 - Uptime: 0 days, 2:30:01 (0 crashes)
21:00 - UPCOMING
21:30 - UPCOMING
22:00 - UPCOMING
22:30 - UPCOMING
23:00 - UPCOMING
23:30 - UPCOMING
00:00 - UPCOMING
(13/01)
09:00 - UPCOMING
Thank you for assistance.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As a further thought - you might like to get a decent filter - the rats tail type as shown in the Zen picture you posted earlier
I am surprised that the router didn't come with a decent one.
This one would be better http://www.adslnation.com/products/xf-1e.php
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I thought that for a moment, Oldjim, but then I thought that the picture shows no telephone connected.  So given that the filtering is applied to the telephone connection (low-pass) and no telephone is connected then the quality of the filter is immaterial.  
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The question is the quality of the filter in the phone sockets - where the phone is connected
weareharris
Dabbler

Sorry i'm not very technical, but blue and white cable are still connected and (orange) removed.
Our telephones don't work when the ADSL is plugged directly into the test socket (You're probably aware).
Telephones are working OK at present and internet seems stable (almost 2hrs in).
Thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can you post a picture of the filter you are using to plug the telephone in please.
Have you tried making an outgoing telephone call and more importantly tried ringing your number with your mobile - leave it ringing for a while.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
weareharris
Dabbler

Jelv, if ok i'll post tonight when i'm around.
Thanks