cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We lose broadband every time it starts raining

exBT

We lose broadband every time it starts raining

Every time it starts raining we lose our broadband connection for a few minutes. Very annoying. We have fibre-to-cabinet with fairly fast speeds (varies between 45 & 75Mb) but the last bit of our connection is via a wire from a telephone pole in next door's garden. Might the cause be a slightly dodgy connection or a hole in the insulation?

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: We lose broadband every time it starts raining

It could be all sorts of places where the wet is getting in. You need to jump through the hoops and report a problem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I assume you have a landline, when it rains and your broadband is playing up check whether you have any noise on the line.

You can call a number of course, but the other option is to dial 17070 option 2 quiet line test. The whole point in that is you should hear nothing.

I've had a landline fault recently and did that and called BT Wholesale out who fixed it.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @exBT

Line tests don't pick up any obvious faults but I would try the quiet line test that 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
exBT

Thanks. We were away for a week, & then since we got back we haven't had any rain! When it next rains I'll check the line as suggested.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

For clarity over Alex’s comment - a user cannot call out BT Wholesale as implied.

A user should contact their CP (for voice) or ISP (for broadband) supplier to report a problem. They in turn will contact BT Openreach or BT Wholesale respectively. If BT Wholesale determines there’s a line problem, they will pass the issue to BT Openreach. BT Wholesale NEVER attend faults.

Broadband being impacted as you describe will in the first instance be considered a voice (POTS) issue to be dealt with by the phone service provider - which for some users might not be PlusNET.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

exBT

Hi Adam

At last - sorry for the long delay in coming back to you, but what with the drought and then holidays, this is the first time it's started to rain when we were in and connected to our broadband. As soon as the rain started, we lost our broadband connection - our Plusnet hub started flashing orange.  This was at about 11.50 am today. As suggested, I tried the phone line and that still had a dial tone and was working. I then tried the quiet line test (the result was silence) but by then our broadband had reconnected. I reckon we lost connection for between 2 and 5 minutes.

There is clearly some sort of fault. I am a PlusNet customer - how can I get PlusNet to pursue this with OpenReach (or whoever?) If you can need my address & PlusNet account number please send me a link so I can send that to you as a private message.

Thanks

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @exBT 

Nothing has come up on testing again - which I sort of expected due to the apparent nature of your issue. 

I'm a little stumped to be honest. There is (in my opinion) most likely some form of water invasion occurring somewhere along your line which is causing this to happen - but I am unsure of how we could confirm this, save sending an engineer to check for degradation / water damage etc. 

The thing is, if the engineer finds nothing then there is a change that a charge would be levied against the account - and i do not want that to happen to you. 

Let me talk to a few people today and gauge their opinions. 

One of us will update this thread later on. 

Thanks 

MoR