Posted on: Friday 3 June 2011, 16:08
When's this work happening?
Early hours, Monday 6th June.
What does it affect?
Our broadband network.
How long will it take?
About six hours.
What does the work involve?
Our suppliers are performing network maintenance which affects our broadband network.
Am I likely to notice the work?
Customers in Bristol and Stepney, London may be without service for up to 2 hours during the maintenance window.
Is there anything else I need to know?
If you are having difficulty getting back online following the maintenance, then please try switching off your modem/router for twenty minutes or so before powering it back up and trying again.
Kind Regards,
Matt Taylor
Customer Support.
Exchange Wimborne
Router log
Mon, 2011-06-06 02:26:31 - LCP down.
Mon, 2011-06-06 02:26:38 - Initialize LCP.
Mon, 2011-06-06 02:26:38 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Mon, 2011-06-06 02:27:38 - Initialize LCP.
Mon, 2011-06-06 02:27:38 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Mon, 2011-06-06 02:28:38 - Initialize LCP.
Mon, 2011-06-06 02:28:38 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Mon, 2011-06-06 02:29:38 - Initialize LCP.
Mon, 2011-06-06 02:29:38 - LCP is allowed to come up.
<repeated reports snipped>
Mon, 2011-06-06 04:09:53 - Initialize LCP.
Mon, 2011-06-06 04:09:53 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Mon, 2011-06-06 04:09:54 - CHAP authentication success
Manual resync to get the speed back up
Now will need to wait for ages for the IP profile to recover from 3500kbps to 4000kbps  Angry
7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Was this maintenance wider than it says

There's nothing particularly suspicious with the session graphing for last night. There's a dip between Midnight and 2.00am which I suspect is related to the maintenance, but nothing that coincides with the time of the events from your router log.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I was wondering about that when my Internet connection disappeared at just after midnight last night (Southampton). ADSL stayed connected but I gave up trying to reconnect the Internet after half an hour or so. Connected fine in the morning.
Jun 6 00:08:44 PPP link down (Internet)
rhohne
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

There was also problems with the Broadstone exchange between midnight and just before 01:15. The PPP connection was automatically re-established at 01:13. Just as well I didn't loose the DSL connection as well !!
JamesM
Grafter

I got up this morning and my connection was disconnected, don't know for how long but the light was red on my router. I restarted my router and I was stuck with 370Kbps download until I restarted my router again a few hours later. Sheffield area.
mikeb
Rising Star

Well, my PPP was also up and down rather more like a fiddler's elbow than usual this weekend.  As always, this was mostly if not exclusively down to a sudden and complete loss of any sensible responses from the exchange end on various occasions meaning that PPP had to be terminated and re-established of course. I also had a lengthy and more permanent loss of PPP where I was unable to re-establish a connection automatically during the same kinda time period mentioned above (i.e. between 0030 hours and  0230 hours). I was also getting the same old occasional strange, corrupt, illegal or otherwise unexpected responses from the exchange during this time just as I have seen on numerous occasions before.  As has often been the case, manual intervention was necessary to re-establish PPP which is reasonably OK I suppose if the router is just across the other side of the room but certainly NOT if it happens to be several hundred miles away as could so easily have been the case for me !
For avoidance of doubt:  *** AT NO TIME WAS LINE SYNCH LOST, SNR LOWERED OR ANY TRANSMISSION ERRORS ENCOUNTERED SO THIS IS ABSOLUTELY DEFINITELY NOT ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE TO BEING A LINE PROBLEM OR LOCAL GLITCH AND NOR IS THERE ANY SIGNIFICANT POSSIBILITY THAT IT IS SOME WEIRD PROBLEM AT MY END OF THE LINE EITHER *** I very much hope that by seriously abusing my keyboard, it will perhaps make the situation 100% clear to all and especially to PN so that I'm not going to get the same old b*llox trotted out telling me that it's anything other than a problem, feature, bug or whatever at the exchange end !!!  Problems of this nature have been a regular part of life ever since PN decided to 'upgrade' my connection to 21CN but rather curiously of course they have never been seen before at any time over the previous ~10 years prior to this so-called 'upgrade'.
How strange and all that ... especially as I'm nowhere that close to the announced areas being affected by maintenance ... BUT I am of course very much in the same kinda area as those other customers reporting problems here and elsewhere this weekend *AND* I am very much in the same kinda area as those other customers who have reported very similar problems both here and elsewhere in the past.
[sarcasm]
But I'm quite sure that's all just complete coincidence of course and it's nothing whatsoever to do with PN or BT and their unannounced maintenance periods, their tweak it and see what happens working practices or even someone simply b*ggering around with wires, equipment or firmware at the exchange (or indeed elsewhere) at regular intervals over the last 3 months and all that. It really must be my router which as we all know is a consumable item that has to be replaced every year or so to stop these problems from happening
 Roll_eyes
[/sarcasm]
Sorry Bob, but there's a lot more been going on than is being said (and not just this weekend but over the last 3 months) that could still do with some serious explaining as has previously been suggested would be the case once further correct/relevant information about 21CN issues had been obtained by PN. I've given up asking about updates on Usenet but perhaps you've now had the 'right' kind of response to the questions PN asked BT several weeks/months ago and are now able to actually say something about what is or has been going on ? And perhaps more to the point, advise when the seemingly incessant b*ggering around will stop going on hopefully leaving reliable and stable 21CN connectivity.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Maybe it's all coincidental. If this DLM thingy is being updated country wide, or tweaked and tested to death (as suggested elsewhere), then there will probably be thousands of minor disconnections all involving small numbers of people.
There's not really anyway Plusnet can keep us informed of all of them if that's the case.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: mikeb
Sorry Bob, but there's a lot more been going on than is being said...

Yes, there is. In fact I count on average about 40-50 planned engineering works notifications that hit my mailbox each day. It is not practical for us to announce all of these, especially when they reportedly affect so little of our customer base.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵