cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was I Scammed

Flappy80

Was I Scammed

I have had low broadband speeds all day, and after several hours of dealing with PlusNet customer services and getting nowhere, I feel that I was pushed down the road of having to get an engineer out to look at the problem.  On a number of occasions PlusNet were all too forward about telling me that it would cost me £50 if the engineer could not find a fault.  After booking an engineer to call out tomorrow and agreeing to pay a call out fee if a fault could not be found, suddenly my broadband speed was back to its normal speed again.  Would PlusNet have deliberately lowered the speed all day to force me to get an engineer out, somehow the whole thing feels a bit strange and I feel like I was scammed.

4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Was I Scammed

Only £50? The Engineer Charge is listed as £65 in the price guide.

It wouldn't be a very good scam for Plusnet, because the £50 or even £65 they might charge you is less than what their supplier charges Plusnet in the no fault found type of circumstances.

However, when you take into consideration that Plusnet and their supplier (BTWholesale / Openreach) are all ultimately owned by BT, money passing between different parts of BT may not really matter, only extracting money from the end user.

But no, I don't think it's a scam, I expect the engineers have better things to do than attend pointless non-faults.

Although it may be technically too late to cancel the engineer, you could try getting Plusnet to cancel it anyway.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Of course there's always the chance that the fault has been fixed without any need to visit your property.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I doubt VERY much if PN deliberately made a fault .

But they do have to make you aware of any cost you may incur ,, but they don't have to force it to you so you are scare of reporting a fault

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

@Flappy80 - Hello.

Are you ok to pop me a PM once the engineer has been to the property (if you're in for it) and we can discuss the next steps from there?

We do treat the engineer charge subjectively for the sake of instances like this.

Glad to hear everything is working by the way, apologies for the hassle.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet