Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting to get fibre connected but our area is FTTP

whyarewewaiting
Dabbler

Re: Wanting to get fibre connected but our area is FTTP

Hi again,

Really appreciating the help from people on here - just wanted to say that Smiley

Yes, I currently have phone and broadband from PN, have done for almost 10 years now, and all from the same address - haven't moved.

As for using my address instead of phone number (good idea) this is the result:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

WBC FTTP Up to 330 Up to 30 -- Available -- -- --

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- --

Think you can see my confusion!!

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

The PlusNet FTTP trial is simply that  - a trial. Their back office systems are not integrated with the trial and most support staff no little or nothing about FTTP. The product itself and prices are based on their FTTC range.

It seems the confusion is with OpenReach systems telling you different stories. It'll get sorted eventually but can be a pain until it's done.

Just out of interest the DSL result which shows WBC FTTP available should have a narrative below it about FTTP. It'll say something about a single dwelling residential address - what does the last bit say.

Brian

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Yep, I can see how you are confused 😉

The only thing I can now think of, might be the physical access to your property - maybe no available duct or something. Hopefully @Gandalph can help out when he gets back in the office in the morning.

whyarewewaiting
Dabbler

Hi there,

Thanks for reading and replying Smiley

I missed the part off about single dwelling etc. Sorry about that..

Here it is:

"Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:- Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues."

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

"Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:- Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues."

The last bit speaks for itself - OpenReach are saying it's an overhead line with no anticipated installation issues.

My house had "UG Proven clear" - I know for a fact this means the cable duct from the underground chamber to the house is "clear" as I watched them check it and then leave a draw rope in place for any future installation.

Brian

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Oh dear ... this has all of the hall marks of a BTOR records issue.  A number of thoughts come to mind...

• Your line / address is not properly recorded in BTw / BTOR data bases
  • Records for the address / the phone number are not consistent

@Gandalf - is there anyway that Plusnet can check the state of the property / phone line records here?  Seems odd that the addressed based query (on house number) says "yes" but the phone line query says "no".

I have seen situations where different house numbers on the same street can / cannot get FTTP before, but different systems saying different things for data relating to the same address seems right odd!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@Gandalf - is there anyway that Plusnet can check the state of the property / phone line records here?  Seems odd that the addressed based query (on house number) says "yes" but the phone line query says "no".

I believe so. We've sent a request off to BTWholesale to investigate this.

As soon as I hear back I'll post back here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just a heads up it can take up to 7 working days for us to receive a response.

But I'll let you all know if we hear back sooner.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
whyarewewaiting
Dabbler

Hi @Townman,

Thanks for putting in to words what my thoughts are concerning this - there must be a mix-up somewhere with their records. I cannot think of another reason why next door can get full fibre 330Mb, whereas we are just "in scope" if I use the phone number to check. Especially with the cables coming underground from the cabinet (less than 30 metres away from us) to the pole across the road (6 metres away.)

Really appreciate you taking the time to offer a solution/answer. Thank you Smiley

whyarewewaiting
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf,

Thank you once more for chasing this up and letting me know what's going on.

Really do appreciate all the help and advice being offered on here Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems at all. Just popping back here to let you know I've not forgotten about this. I've just not heard back yet, so I've escalated this and I expect to have a response within 24 hours.

As soon as I know more I'll post back here.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As of about an hour ago, we've received the following response.

FTTP is currently not available for your customer, the area is in scope for a build out to provide FTTP to additional properties but as it is still in planning stage we do not have a completion date

Whilst this doesn't explain why your address shows as ready to order FTTP but not your telephone number, it's possibly a records issue. As the fibre team at Openreach have confirmed it's not ready yet if we try to place an FTTP order at the moment it's likely to either be rejected or hit a delay.

If you'd like to query this further I'd recommend filling out this form and Openreach will get back to you.

I'm sorry that this response isn't what we'd hoped for.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Sorry @Gandalf but that reply from Openreach is pathetic, the OP has been told by an openreach engineer that the FTTP infrastructure is installed and just needs the fibre from the pole to the property. The near neighbour and other properties show it available on the phone number checker. The OP's address, shows FTTP available with the building specific comment on the checker i.e. 

That must mean that the properties in the area have been surveyed with regard to suitability for FTTP and Openreach tell you it's not available and still in planning stage, I don't believe it. You say yourself their response doesn't explain why the address checker shows it available, did you ask them for an explanation? I believe it is a records problem and as usual Openreach are dragging their feet and doing nothing about it.

How about this for an idea - You don't need a telephone line for FTTP so can an order be placed using just the address of the property?

@whyarewewaiting  I've had a bit of a rant about the useless reply from Openreach, it's so frustrating when you know you should be able to get FTTP but computer says no. Do you know if any of the neighbours have a working fibre service? There may be new fibre cables running to the houses. It could be possible that the checkers are completely wrong and it is not actually available yet.

You could try posting in the Fibre Broadband section in the  Thinkbroadband forum,  Mr Saffron (not his real name!) is involved with running the site and has been known to help with this type of problem as he has contacts within Openreach and may be able to get more sensible answers than Gandalf has received. I don't think you will get far with the openreach form, after a long wait you will probably get just the usual fob off.Sad

whyarewewaiting
Dabbler

@Gandalf,

Many thanks for chasing this up, even if it is confirming that there does indeed seem to be a record mix-up somewhere that is causing my problems with getting an order put through for Fibre.

I will look in to completing the form you suggested with Openreach, even though, as @RealAleMadrid suggested, it will probably not get me anywhere.

I guess there is nothing else that you guys at Plusnet can do now, but i will try and follow this up via @RealAleMadrid's suggestions and see if I get anywhere there.

Thanks @RealAleMadrid for taking the time to read through my problem and offering a possible suggestion - any help is appreciated! 

Just wish there was a way for us the customer to get in touch with Openreach directly and get them to come out and see for themselves instead of relying on seemingly incorrect records. Bet you've heard that before...

whyarewewaiting
Dabbler

@RealAleMadrid

You also asked if any of my neighbours actually had fibre services.

To the best of my knowledge, at least 2 of them do. They are approx 300-400 metres away from me, supplied from the same exchange and cabinet.

I saw fibre cabling being installed in the underground cavities/spaces, and then being brought to the pole opposite our house. I'm certain that it was installed further down our road too, as they had traffic lights setup for all the underground cable laying at the same time.

And, as you've already read, an Openreach engineer who was subsequently working on our pole for an unrelated reason, said to me that everything was indeed connected up and ready.

As you said, if our near neighbour is "Ultra speed available" according to the online checkers, and from the same pole as us, I too can only surmise that record inaccuracies are to blame.

I'd like to thank everyone who has read or commented on this topic, as it is helping to clarify what is going on, if it is not actually solving the problem - YET. 

I will pursue this further and update on here accordingly.

Any more tips or suggestions from anybody are always welcome Smiley