Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanting to get fibre connected but our area is FTTP

whyarewewaiting
Dabbler

Wanting to get fibre connected but our area is FTTP

Hi there,

Hope you can help here, as I'm getting nowhere by phoning up IF I ever get through that is!

Tried to upgrade my package to Fibre from standard ADSL, only to be told that I don't have Fibre.

Yes, I know that, that is why I want to upgrade TO fibre...

Checked to see if Fibre is available where I am, only to be told no it isn't.

Surprising, since I checked before phoning, and can order NOW with BT and get up to 330Mb Fibre!

"Ah, but that is FTTP, and we don't do FTTP, only FTTC" I was told.

Er, but surely if I get connected to Fibre, then FTTC will work even if on a FTTP line, just at a slower speed? I don't want, or can afford a 330Mb connection anyway.

No answer, "I'll transfer you to the provisioning team."

I was duly transferred to the provisioning team, but after waiting for nearly 26 minutes on hold, no-one answered. Sorry, but I cannot keep on hold for any longer!!

SO...

Please can someone on here help me to get upgraded to Fibre. Without a fibre connection, I cannot upgrade, and I cannot get any offers/prices from Plusnet to see what packages are available!!

My contract runs out in February 2018, and my line rental saver in Dec 2017. I've been a customer for almost 10 years now - I'm looking for a reason to stay, and this isn't helping...

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you Smiley 

41 REPLIES 41
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Wanting to get fibre connected but our area is FTTP

Hi there.

Is WBC FTTP available when you type in your telephone number at www.dslchecker.bt.com?
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
whyarewewaiting
Dabbler

Hi there,

Thank you for your quick reply!

Most appreciated!

The answer is no, it just shows my current ADSL MAX connection.

But then it would do, wouldn't it if I don't yet have an actual FTTP connection?

However, if I go to www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx, it says ultrafast accepting orders.

I spoke to an openreach engineer recently who was working on the pole opposite us from which we get our line, and he said that yes, our exchange IS fully connected, our cabinet IS fully connected and our pole is fully setup for Fibre, I just have to ask you at Plusnet to place an order.

Does that make any sense to you?

Thanks in advance Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If fibre is available it should be showing on the BT DSL Checker as we’d use that when placing an order with our suppliers. Mind sending me a PM with your telephone number?
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
whyarewewaiting
Dabbler

Sure, I don't mind, if it'll help.

My neighbours are on fibre, from the same cabinet.

When I contacted Plusnet by phone this evening, they checked and said 330Mb FTTP available, but only do FTTC, which I already knew.

If the engineer working on the pole and cabinet says we are all connected except for the last connection from the pole to the house, and just need to place an order, then why is nothing showing using dslchecker.bt.com, but IS showing using homeandwork.openreach.co.uk...?

Hope you can get somewhere with this please - thanks again for your help.

Will PM you now Smiley

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

whyarewewaiting
Dabbler

Another interesting point is that my connection is listed as from 0.75 to 2.5Mb (!) when I have, and do consistently get 5.5 to 6.5Mb connection! Has been like that for the last 7+ years.

Any idea why it is showing up as so low? 

Thanks Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

So from looking at the Openreach site [https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre] it looks like you’re still in their plans to provide an FTTP service.

Once the journey graph moves to Accepting Orders and “WBC FTTP” appears on the DSL Checker, head on over to http://trials.plus.net to sign up to FTTP. Drop us a PM too or post in the FTTP board on these forums and we’ll keep an eye on the order.

From looking at the speed estimates of the ADSL service for your line, I do understand any desperation you might have to get on to a fibre service but I think there’s a little while longer to wait I’m afraid. Sad
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mav
Fixes: 514

@whyarewewaiting

Not much help, I know, but the DSL Checker shows a max speed of 3.8 ADSL for me but I usually sync between 5 and 5.5 with the odd dip to 4.5 and peak at 5.7.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As for your speed estimates, they might not have been updated in a while. If you’re getting much higher I’d personally take that as a win. Thumbs_Up
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
whyarewewaiting
Dabbler

Thank you once more Smiley

I've just checked myself on the homeandbbusiness.openreach.co.uk website and it says ultrafast accepting orders! Has done for months now...

How are you putting my details in? Just the phone number?

If you put my postcode in, then select my address from the drop-down list, it says ultrafast...

If you only put the phone number in, then, yes, it says "in scope," despite the exchange, cabinet AND poles in our area all having fibre.

Am I right in thinking that it CANNOT show fibre for our phone number as we are not yet connected from the pole to our house due to being in an FTTP area?

I was told this might be the case by the engineer who said that not all service providers currently offer FTTP so they might not inform you that it is available.

If I'm missing something here, then please accept my apologies.

However, if I'm told firsthand by an openreach engineer that yes we are enabled and just need the final connection to be authorised by way of an order, then is that not the answer?

What else can I do but ask for an order, especially since my neighbour has access to fibre from the same pole that supplies us!

I've just checked using their number on the https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre website, and it says "ultrafast accepting orders."

Other neighbours using the same cabinet can get it too...

I'm not trying to doubt what you've said, but this is most confusing.

Thank you again for any help Smiley

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Perhaps if you posted a copy of the results from putting your phone number into the DSL Checker, people could supply a bit more information to help you.

whyarewewaiting
Dabbler

Yes, I sure do, but they've been the same for over 7 YEARS now.

I'm baffled as to why BT only estimates so low - they were checked in May according to the dslchecker.bt.com website...

Would me having a relatively good connection by ADSL MAX standards give any weight to pursuing Fibre?

Thanks for keep replying. I'm not trying to bombard you with questions (promise!), I'm just totally confused...

whyarewewaiting
Dabbler

Hi Mustrum,

Thanks for that.

I did think about it, but all that is listed is the following:

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available -- -- -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap U              
VRI --              
NTEFaceplate --              
Last Test Date 16-05-2017

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I’ll take a closer look tomorrow when I’m back in the office. Smiley
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

OK, thanks, a couple of other thoughts, do you currently have phone and broadband from PN?

And if so have you had it at that address for a while, or have you recently moved?

Finally, if you do the DSL Checker with your address is the result any different to what you have already shown?