cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wando5000 Thompson Router problem

wando5000

Wando5000 Thompson Router problem

Hi. I am having similar problems. I use a Dell inspiron N7110 laptop / windows 7 with a Thomson TG585v8
I got connected to plusnet about 7 weeks ago and it seemed to work OK (with wire and also wireless ). Since then things went downhill. When I started a browser and opened a website it would open at the homepage but when I clicked on a link the router would restart (about 4 minutes) and the browser would say 'page not found' But sometimes it would connect.
The last 5 days it simply does not connect (with wire and also wireless ) although it does work on the partners wireless  IPAD.
This morning I updated the firmware using the details given on this website. But the problem persists and I cant connect as the router just restarts.
11 REPLIES 11
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Wando5000 Thompson Router problem

Wanado5000 I thought i had seen this before  Angry
why dont you start your own thread and stop cross posting on other peoples  Wink
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI wando5000,
We are currently testing firmware that we think will resolve this. Once we know it works we will release it. In the meantime there is a workaround which I believe works...
Control Panel - Network & Internet - Network Connections (may be Network and Sharing Center - Change Adaptor settings) - right click Wireless Network Connection with  Intel Centrino - Properties ( not Wireless Properties ) - Configure - Advanced - then select property  "802.11 N-mode" select value "Disabled" then OK
Jojo Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Posts split of and merged - please don't double post
wando5000

Sorry OldJim
I did this but the internet connection is still is not working on the laptop although the IPAD is fine.
when i view a list of available wireless connections I can see 3 including the plusnet one. The other 2 belonging to my neighbours show a little symbol with 5 vertical bars / signal strength. But the plusnet one shows a red cross. When i look in 'network connections'  the status is 'not connected'.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi wando5000,
When i look in 'network connections'  the status is 'not connected'.

What happens when you right click and select connect?
Jojo Smiley
wando5000

I wasnt able to connect. I cant remember exactly what happened but will check later when i get back from work and let you know.
thanks
wando5000

Bottom right córner list of connections the plusnet one has a red cross.when i right click  it the 'connect' icon is greyed out. In 'network connections' i can right click and click Connect it brings up the list of connections  in bottom right córner that i mentioned
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Have you tried the router setup guide on our website, here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/thomson-585-setup-guide.shtml ?
If the auto setup isn't working, scroll to the bottom and underneath where it says "I see the Welcome page" there's a link to click for further information. If you click that there's details on how to configure the Thomson manually.
Hope that helps,
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

The OP said his IPad is "fine".  Huh
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Is there any chance it could be one of the 3G enabled models?
wando5000

Hi. I have this sorted out . In control panel / manage wireless networks,  I double clicked on 'plusnet wireless 7xxxxxx' and then on the security tab I changed the security type to wpa2-personal and encryption to aes.
thanks for your help