cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall Mounting a Plusnet Technicolor TG582n Router

Freddy999

Wall Mounting a Plusnet Technicolor TG582n Router

As a newbie I feel almost embarrassed to ask this but I have received the above router today and wish to prepare for the PlusNet broadband due next week.
I want to wall mount the TG582n but if I correctly wall mount the router using the 2 screw mounting holes on the back (the rear specification displays the correct way up), then the front panel showing the Technicolor/Plusnet/ motifs is upside down.
As I cannot screw mount it where the front panel is the correct way up I guess it might have to be double sided sticky pads but why is the TG582n assembled this way? I suppose I could fix with the front panel upside down and explain it's a 'feature'.
Freddy
8 REPLIES 8
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Wall Mounting a Plusnet Technicolor TG582n Router

No issue about it being "upside down" it doesn't affect the router at all.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Well, marketing and design think you are going to place it on a table, so the logo is "correct" when you look at the pretty lights Roll_eyes Roll_eyes
Unfortunately, the wall-mount facility was an engineering "add-on" that ignored the trivia in deference to practicality Cheesy
Well, it's as good a reason as any Shocked
If you are going to stick masking tape over the annoying lights, you can always add a bit over the logo as well Crazy
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Mine is mounted vertically, but the "right" way up.
Using four blobs of blu-tack.  Embarrassed
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Mine is hanging upside down from two screws in the edge of a shelf in my spare bedroom-cum-study - being away from a wall potentially helps the wifi signal avoid absorption or reflection, but frankly I don't know whether it's made any difference or not (it works OK throughout my small semi and it's too bloomin' cold to find out whether it reaches the patio at the end of my garden!  :-\)
The shelf is above my eye line when using the PC so the fact the lettering is upside down is of no concern to me.  Wink
Freddy999

"No issue about it being "upside down" it doesn't affect the router at all"  No it wasn't that I was worried about but thanks anyway.
"If you are going to stick masking tape over the annoying lights, you can always add a bit over the logo as well" - No the double sided tape was for the rear to wall but it's a good idea for the logo and the lights but surely these cannot be as bad as BT's blue lighthouse of a modem which is going in the bin next week.
"Mine is mounted vertically, but the "right" way up Using four blobs of blu-tack" - thank you, I will do this.
Thank you all.
Freddy

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Only real issue with ds tape is DON'T COVER the vents. That router runs hot enough without being closed up as well.
The mounting with screws give EXTRA space between the router and the wall, not much but 1-2mm is better than 0.
Also removing again I find the tape either fails early or is a complete B*******D to remove later, taking plaster with it.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Hairy
The mounting with screws give EXTRA space between the router and the wall, not much but 1-2mm is better than 0.
And blu-tack adds a few more mm. Mine doesn't get hot.  Cool
Freddy999

Postman had just knocked the door with a modem parcel in his hand. He asked if it was a 'buy one get one free' offer as he had delivered the identical parcel yesterday.
Interesting that this parcel had a plastic returns bag in case I didn't need it! Cannot wait for Monday's post.
Freddy