cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting for a BT visit to be booked

sladkart
Grafter

Waiting for a BT visit to be booked

My ticket request for a BT engineer to visit seems to have gone cold.  The only dates I can make for a while are this Friday (18th) and the following Monday or Tuesday.  These dates are obviously approaching fast.  I know BT are slow, but can someone take a look and maybe give them a poke.  Ticket #29917942
Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
James
Grafter

Re: Waiting for a BT visit to be booked

Hi Rob,
Your engineer appointment was booked at 13:02.
sladkart
Grafter

Thanks James.
sladkart
Grafter

BT engineer came out yesterday.  He changed my ancient master socket for a shiny new Openreach NTE5 box, he climbed the pole and cleaned/reconnected the wires (which he said were corroded) and then did some tests and said the line was as good as he could get it.  Have asked PN for the training period to be reset as suggested by the engineer.  We'll see what happens next - at the mo I'm still on a banded profile.
A couple of interesting things to note about the engineer's visit -
1) He didn't know what a banded profile was.  "Is that a PlusNet thing?" he asked !!
2) He wasn't able to test ADSL2+.  He said they had been told they were going to get some new test equipment but he didn't know when.  He was only able to test to ADSL1.
James
Grafter

I imagine the tests for dsl/dsl2 would be pretty similar.
Let us know how things go - if your connection remains stable, the banded profile should be removed automatically.
sladkart
Grafter

Any idea how long that might take James?
I've seen a couple of resyncs over the weekend, but the SNR has been up around 14dB throughout, so they look more like the DLM changing something and then forcing a resync.  Downstream is still locked at 3067.
I would have thought the DLM would have tried interleaving first before enabling the banding.  I'm still on fastpath with some CRC errors.  Is there any way for you to force interleaving back on?
The master socket has been replaced, so has the router, filter and modem cable.  The phone cable contacts at the top of the pole have been cleaned and reconnected and there are no extensions in the house. This might be the right time to restart the training period - is that possible?
James
Grafter

It's meant to be three days.
We can restart the training period (and remove banding) if you want us to.
I might have to bribe Keith though.
sladkart
Grafter

I've also got an ADSLnation filtered faceplate on order, so maybe it'd be sensible to wait til I've installed that before resetting anything.
What sort of bribes does Keith accept - Jaffa cakes? Chocolate-covered coffee beans?  Cash?  (I can do all except the last one Wink )
James
Grafter

Right - Faceplate is a good starting point.  that was, your training period will be optimal.
sladkart
Grafter

Hi James
Faceplate now installed and everything seems to be working fine.  My line is still banded and on FAST path.  There are some CRC errors so I don't think the banding is going to disappear on it's own whilst the DLM insists on keeping FAST path enabled.
Is it possible to force INTERLEAVING on and remove the banding? I'm not sure I want to go through the 10 day training period again!
James
Grafter

Let's turn on interleaving first and see if the errors all get corrected.
It'll get turned on on Monday.
sladkart
Grafter

Thanks James. Softly, softly approach eh?  Don't want to scare the DLM?  Probably wise Smiley
James
Grafter

Smiley
scootie
Grafter

Well the DLM on my line dosent like 500 Errored seconds aday on fastpath and insists i be put in my place and be stuck at 3074 sync.
adsl use to run between 3500kbps an 4000kbps on a 12db noise margin fine and dandy on fastpath.
Awaits BTw to kick the habbit on thinking there right all the time and start to listen to its end users that have paying feet to use  Smiley
would of loved to have been the PN staffie that told them what we think to there new DLM