cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI extender

didactylos22

WIFI extender

I am attempting to install this. Plugged into the mains as instructed, both my PC and Mac can see it as a wifi device. I am instructed to use a web browser to go to the 192.168.10.1 address to set up the configuration to work with my Plusnet fibre router. It does not find the ip address and hangs then times out.
I have reset the wifi extender to factory settings, still no joy.
I have looked on the router and the device is not showing as being on the system.....
Anitvirus is off......
Stumped.
Roger
7 REPLIES 7
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: WIFI extender

Presumably, you are using DHCP to get your PC/MAC addresses. So, you need to change one of them to a fixed address in the 192.168.10.0 subnet - such as 192.168.10.20. Then configure the extender and change the fixed address back to DHCP.
If you additional help, you will need to supply the OS used so that help can be appropriate.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

I believe you have to disconnect your computer (or device that you are using to set things up) from the PN router and connect to the extender before you can get to the IP address. 192.168.10.* is on a different subnet from the PN router.
That's RPM to you!!
didactylos22

I am able to connect to the WIFI extender, but it does not connect to the internet as I cannot set up the password for the Plusnet link.
On both my Laptop (Windows 7) and my Imac (OSX 10.9.2) I can set up the wifi to be connected to the extender, but then its unable to connect to the internet so its just local. This is because I cannot get at its ip through my browser to configure it.....
As regards setting a fixed address that's a new concept to me....
Roger
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

I had the same problem with a Netgear extender. The pc could connect to it but but the extender wouldn't connect to the router - not sure at what end the problem was, I followed the instructions to the letter, asked Netgear for help and heard diddly squat from them spoke to Belkin and they said they could see no reason why it wouldn't connect.
In the end I bought a Devolo homeplug and it works brilliantly even tho' it's plugged into a different ring main.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I use TPLink plugs. Just plug the master into the mains, connect it to my Asus router with an ethernet cable, hit WPS & I'm connected. Plug the extenders into whichever sockets, pair & off we go.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

What make/model is the extender?
If it has an ethernet connection, take it to the PC and connect the two with a cable, if not, then use wireless and replace "Local area network" with "wireless network connection" below.
1. Right click on the task bar network symbol and select "open network and sharing center", select "change adapter settings" and "Local area network"
2. Select "properties", click on "Internet protocol version 4" then "properties". Select "use the following IP address" and enter 192.168.10.20 , 255.255.255.0, 192.168.10.1 in the three boxes (you will not be able to use the internet now).
3. Click "OK", "OK", "close" and close the window.
Now follow the setup procedure and use the MAC to check if it works.
If (when!) it's working, follow 1, 2 (but select "obtain an IP address automatically") and 3 above to return the settings to the defaults.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
didactylos22

Sad did all that thanks, still no joy. Am giving up on it!
Roger