cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI dropping connection multiple times a day

ronniehotdog12
Hooked

WIFI dropping connection multiple times a day

Since joining Plusnet we've had daily connection issues with our wifi, losing connection to all our devices multiple times a day. Previously had Sky and never had any issues and the router is positioned in the same place so wouldn't have thought that would be a problem. I've tried changing channels but none seem to cure the issue. When working the speed is fine so I assume it's some kind of interference, I did read up on here about changing from 2.4ghz to 5ghz but I don't see that option when logging into my account? Details are below if it helps...

1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: N7192141B023229 
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 14 days 00:21:03
7 - Data rate: 1203/10431
8 - Maximum data rate: 1232/10656
9 - Noise margin: 6.4/6.3
10 - Line attenuation: 12.4/30.0
12 - Data sent/received: 1.3G/3.6G
20 - Broadband username:  
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID: PLUSNET-PM9N78
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address: ec:be:dd:31:20:a8
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.275.11

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: WIFI dropping connection multiple times a day

@ronniehotdog12 

You have a Plusnet Hub Zero. This is a very basic device with poor WiFi. It is single band so any reference to a 5GHz band only relates to the Hub One, these aresupplied to Fibre customers only as a general rule.

Are you sure that it's only the wireless that's failing and not the line that's dropping. If it's wireless you could try going into the wireless settings and switching the auto channel select off then try a different channel Alternatively get a better router. You can pick up a BT Smarthub 6 on auctions sites such as Ebay for very little money. These are far superior and work on both ADSL and fibre. Setting instructions are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Lysen
Grafter

This sounds identical to the issue I, and many others, have had.
The 2704n router they provide is simply unfit for purpose. This issue dates back to when this router was introduced in 2015. Whether it's a hardware fault or Plusnrt's shoddy firmware is anyone's guess.
I've done a lot of testing, and a lot of back and forth with their support team who sadly have no idea what I'm talking about and fob me off.
What's meant to happen is your device connects to the router, the router figures out this is a unique device (ARP) and assigns it its own IP to communicate with the router for 24 hours (DHCP).

What is instead happening is your device connects, gets assigned an IP, but then the moment it stops communicating with the router (e.g., you stop using your phone), the router bugs out and cancels the lease of the IP address. I have no idea why it does this, but this is a basic function of a router, and it should not be happening. To make matters worse, it retains an entry in the DHCP table, with a 0 second lease time.
Because the device exists in the DHCP table, when the router tries to request the unique ID from the device, ARP times out as incomplete, and you're left with a non-functioning router - presumably because it keeps trying over and over.

There's no excuse for this. Even if it didn't break down and become non-functioning, the fact it forgets devices means increased congestion, and means it would be impossible to do basic things like port forwarding, networked devices (e.g. printers), or proper parental controls.

After so much time wasted, I finally got through to a manager. He didn't understand me, but finally agreed to send a Hub One, which is yet to arrive...though even their Hub One has plenty of its own issues.

I suggest you get hold of a supervisor/manager and demand a Hub One. The only other alternative is to shell out for a new router/modem combo yourself. Support offered £20 towards this, but you're looking at a ~£50 item. It'd save you the back and forth hair tearing nightmare of PN support, but on principle you'd be letting them get away with this garbage.

Good luck.
ronniehotdog12
Hooked

@Baldrick1 I don't know for certain that it's wireless only, it only happens on devices connected wirelessly however the wired computers aren't streaming music/constantly so I guess it could still be happening but without me noticing. I'll do a test and see tomorrow. I've changed channels but that didn't seem to make any difference so a different hub is probably the way to go. Thanks!

ronniehotdog12
Hooked

@Lysen

Ah, thanks for the reply. Sounds like a right nightmare to be honest. Wished I'd have just stuck with sky for the minimal price difference. Can't even get through a 1 hour episode of a tv show on the iPlayer without it bugging out - it's driving me mad. I'll get on to customer support and see what they can do.