cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHS2011 and the Technicolour

les37b
Grafter

WHS2011 and the Technicolour

I have a media server at home running WHS2011 which I would like to be able to access remotely on the odd occasion.
Inside WHS2011, you can run a wizard to auto configure settings in the router. (ie UPnP and ports) Unfortunately it fails miserably, telling me UPnP is off (its clearly shown as enabled on the router GUI) and port forwards not done. Ive manually assigned port forwards (443 to 443) and put to the WHS2011 server IP as shown.
Pulling my hair out now. My old Router with my old ISP, would configure..... but often wouldn't keep the settings held.
Any tips appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14
les37b
Grafter

Re: WHS2011 and the Technicolour

One thing to add thats relevant and possible quite important!!!!
The modem is plugged into a 16 port managed gigabit switch. There are no port forwarding stuff in the GUI of the switch.
pengbo
Grafter

which router you using and is it fibre or adsl2+? not that I will be able to help but hopefully this may be of use to someone who can.
les37b
Grafter

Its the BT Openreach Fibre modem to the Technicolour.
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

I have a different router (WNDR4000) and a WHS2011 box (HP DC5800 SFF) - I had the same issue where the UPNP really caused me a lot of hassle! (And the servers plugged into a Netgear ProSafe switch)
I ended up forwarding a hell of a lot of ports (screenshot attached, 192.168.1.8 is the server) - I have no idea what the names mean as I randomly assigned them random things. Try turning off the Firewall on the WHS box (all three bits of it - screenshot attached with the arrows) to see if that helps too.
les37b
Grafter

cheers for that.
The port forwarding part I think I understand OK and can apply to the server IP without too much hassle. The firewall image though, I'm confused with. Are you saying all three tabs should show the same details?
BTW.... do you set the trigger protocal and trigger port with the same value? And is this just TCP?
les37b
Grafter

OK, Ive setup all those port forwards Not setting trigger port and assigning both TCP and UPNP.
Run the setup wizard and it still fails.
Ive had a look in the firewall settings, but cant even find how the top window appears!
les37b
Grafter

Further further update!
My domain name points to my IP and now goes straight to my WHS login screen which is what I wanted to achieve. Ive not made any changed any firewall settings.
So i guess its actually just the WHS2011 wizard thats fubar'd?
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Quote from: guv
The port forwarding part I think I understand OK and can apply to the server IP without too much hassle. The firewall image though, I'm confused with. Are you saying all three tabs should show the same details?

I meant you would need to set the firewall to "OFF" on all three sections of the firewall (The different sections being the different tabs).
About the wizard, I managed to get it working fully here, but it involved playing around with the firewall settings. But if its working (how you want it to) I would suggest leaving it alone now just to make sure it stays like that!
AndyH
Grafter

I've had two routers and problems with WHS 2011 and UPnP.
The reason both times was the firmware of the routers - for some reason they (Linksys and Asus) by default did not allow ports below 1000 to open by UPnP devices. The solution was to telnet into the router and change that default setting through an nvram command. As soon as I changed the min port to 80, bingo WHS 2011 worked first time.
- Edit: I should add I think most routers are set this way (not sure why). But there should be no reason to set up port forwarding etc on your router. It is a router 'issue' and nothing is wrong with WHS.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Ports below 1024 are classed as privileged with only designated applications run by the system expected to be listening on them. I am not really surprised that routers do not make it easy for WHS 2011 to listen over the WAN using ports in the privileged range.
David
AndyH
Grafter

When I telneted into the router, I used the following commands:
nvram set upnp_min_port_int=80
nvram set upnp_max_port_int=65535
nvram set upnp_min_port_ext=80
nvram set upnp_max_port_ext=65535
nvram commit

Not sure if this works or not on the Technicolor though.
les37b
Grafter

Sorry guys...... been attempting to Telnet, but really unsure! I downloaded Putty, but I cant type in the Dos window! Tried on the WHS2011 machine and a Windows 7 machine. any tips?
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 11

Don't think Telnets enabled by default.
Win 7:
Look in control Panel - Program & Features - Turn Windows Features on or off.
Tick "Telnet Client"
AndyH
Grafter

Found this on another site:
Install telnet:
1. Open Control Panel
2. Go into Programs
3. In Programs and Features there should be a section that says "turn windows features on or off"
4. Click "turn windows features on or off" and check the box beside Telnet Client
5. Click OK
or:
download puttytel:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
Bind the ports to the firewall through telnet:
1. Open Run [win + r] enter cmd
2. Enter: telnet 10.0.0.138
3. Enter username: admin
4. Enter password: (leave blank and press enter)
5. Copy and paste the following command lines one at a time and press enter after pasting each:
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=80
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=443
:saveall
6. Close the telnet session
7. Turn router off for 1 minute, then power on
This doesn't leave a hole in your firewall, just allows upnp to trigger the ports open.

So is slightly different for your Technicolor router.