Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voyager 210 drops connection, 11.30 am each day

youngpete
Dabbler

Voyager 210 drops connection, 11.30 am each day

Hi,
I have a Voyager 210 which works quite happily most of the time, but has one bizarre habit. Every day at precisely 11.30am the connection is dropped. You can set your watch by it (I just have!) The modem reports 'Your modem is not ready to connect to Broadband - Training' for a short while and then comes back with the 'click to connect' screen.
I have 2 phones on the line, one master one hardwired extension socket. Both have BT MF50 ADSL filters. There is also a fax machine which is on a separate (non-broadband enabled) line, which doesn't have a filter.
Any ideas why this might be happening? I wondered if it might be something at the exchange.
5 REPLIES 5
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Voyager 210 drops connection, 11.30 am each day

Usually service disruptions at set times are caused by electrical interference by something in the router's area. Is there something nearby that switches on each morning at this time as it is likely that this is the cause? This may be an appliance in or near the house, street lighting (perhaps not at 11.30 am but just as an example), nearby factories, electric fences etc.
I hope this helps somewhat,
youngpete
Dabbler

10/10 guys, it's the central heating controller kicking in!
You know what's coming next, eh? How do I stop it, put the modem on a UPS or something?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Depends on what is causing it.
You could try a filtered 4 way mains block which should eliminate the problem being spikes in the power supply.
Ianwild
Grafter

Or try some switch cleaner type of substance in the thermostat - If there is a poor contact and it's sparking, the noise it generates will be enough to swamp the ADSL signal through RF (Radio Frequency) alone.
At that point though you might want to seek the assistance of an electrician or Central Heating engineer (I take no responsibility for my advice etc etc  ???)...
Ian
Not applicable

And remember that the Thermostat switches a 240v supply in many (most?) hard-wired systems!  (ie: don't just take it apart for a look without properly isolating the supply Wink )
I was surprised when I discovered that looking at ours, for some reason I expected it to just be a low voltage signal to trigger a relay.