Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voyager 210 behaving oddly.

Apprentice
Grafter

Re: Voyager 210 behaving oddly.

@ colintivy
Couple of links worth looking at Colin, in fact the whole KITZ website is a mine of information.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks Alastair,
I will read and digestlinks.  Noise Margin now down to 12 db with down rate 2912 kbs... all a bit better!
Keep in touch.
Colin Cheesy
colintivy
Rising Star

Jim.
Gone to Belkin W Router (not connected wirelessly), stats over last few weeks with 24/7 operation and not one drop-out:
20.10.10    Down rate 2912 Kbps.  Up 448 Kbps.  Noise Margin Down 13 db  Up  23db
30.11.10                    2912                448                                        12            23
01.12.10                  2496                  448                                        18            24
05.12 10                  2496                  448                                        17            24
              Atten          37 db                21db  throughout.
Fairly steady but not as good as the best previously. No other change apart from the router has been made. Any views?
Colin

brokenthumb
Grafter

Quote from: colintivy
V210 went bananas seriously after its fit of more proper working. It definitely looks like a sensitivity to heat. This is likely to be a component problem

Sounds like capacitor plague, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague, as it's well out of warranty whip the cover off and see if they are bulging. Or Google the manufacturers name, some perform better than others. If it is and you are confident enough to try it, for the price of a pint or two you could have an adequate backup router back on your hands.
As for your current sync rate, no idea, maybe with all the dc's you've been banded, stand on one leg pointing a spoon at the North Star, and whisper 'JoJo', it'll work a treat Smiley
edit: to add to Apprentice's post below, how far are you from your exchange? The SNR increase seems to have gone hand in hand with the bad weather lately, try here ===> http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker, then click locality, hope that helps.
Apprentice
Grafter

Hi Colin,
If you are switching the router off at night then when you switch it back on the next morning don't switch it off again, this might allow the noise margin to get lower and in turn at some point say 6-9dB when you resync the router again in the morning you should get a better sync rate.
If the downstream noise margin stays at 17-18dB then there is a problem with the line with regard to it picking up noise perhaps due to the wiring setup between the master BT socket and the router and don't forget extensions can cause issues too.
colintivy
Rising Star

@#33/34
I will certainly peer inside the old V210 and replace any caps that look dodgy. I understand that removing the plastic feet will allow access to fixing screws for the top cover but there are clips at the side to be got at to remove it.
I will also do the aforesaid placatory manoevres re jojo but do not think that there will be much joy there because I am on ADSL basic max 8Megs and it seems that banding will not be applied. Trying will determine that.
What I have noticed is that the Belkin has remained rock solid since installation (On 24/7) and the stats show that all the figures have done likewise. The V210 showed pretty large changes from time to time and sometimes a download line speed quite a lot better. This suggests that the situation is not a function of local wiring etc.,Unfortunately I am about 2kM from the exchange along overhead lines most of the way. The house is not very old but was built before posh bt Plates and things were about. The cable enters in the garage roof where, at one time, there was a complicated bt contraption for multiple users on few lines. This has been removed many years ago and we now have individual lines. I have thought of fitting a proper master socket up there but putting the router there is not favourite unless I go wireless. I do value being able to look at the router indicator lights to see what is or what is not working. I do know that our local hotel which is quite near the exchange and connected underground is getting 8Megs but he is using a bt package for TV as well as IT and phones which may have something to do with the service he gets.
Overall the performance of my system is better than before, being stable but not exciting. Perhaps I should be satisfied with that.
Colin  Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

Further to my last, I have belatedly got into the offending V210 and, lo & behold, two electrolytics (C118 & C119) bulge at their tops. New ones are being obtained, but this does look very much like other's experience. I will report back. So far my new Belkin still has not dropped its connection  since installation (at the beginning of December) with routerstats very constant but not as good as the best the V210 could achieve (when it worked!!). Does anyone think that I could be banded?
colin
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Are you are still on 20CN maxADSL and not 21CN ADSL2? Since banded profiles feature only on 21CN that would mean you aren't on one of those.
David
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

David,
I think banding only applies to 21CN ADSL2 not 21CN ADSL1