cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vodafone SureSignal no longer working?

fairygodmother0

Vodafone SureSignal no longer working?

Never been on a forum before so apologies if there is another thread but we have a Vodafone Sure Signal which has stopped working.  Vodafone have sent me a very complicated email which begins with:
"Check that your Sure Signal has been assigned an internal IP address by your router.
The Sure Signal must be assigned an internal IP address by your router. If your router supports DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), this must be enabled as doing so will enable the router to assign an IP address to your Sure Signal automatically.
For more instructions on how to do this, please check your router manual or contact your ISP or router manufacturer.
If your router or network configuration doesn't allow DHCP, you'll need to assign a static IP address to your Sure Signal's MAC Address by using your router's configuration panel. Please contact your ISP or router manufacturer for instructions on how to do this. The MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the Sure Signal."
I have NO idea where to begin, any help appreciated!
38 REPLIES 38
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Does Technicolor TG582n support DHCP?

Hi Welcome to the Forum.
The answer to the question is yes it does support DHCP as standard.
I'll just see if I can find you a direct link to login to the TG582n and check the information.
Anotherone
Champion

OK. http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/lan/?be=0&l0=4&l1=-1 is the link, if you click on it (it will probably open in a new tab) it will first show you the login screen to the TG582n modem/router. Login, the default username should show in the box, it's admin in lowercase, the password begins CP...... it's on the plastic card that came with the modem/router, it's the serial number - never post it in a public forum by the way, also on the modem/router label.
When you've logged in you should see the page showing your Home network with all the devices connected of which your Sure Signal device should be one.
fairygodmother0

Thanks for your help, Anotherone, I have logged in and under Home Network, Devices, found this information:
Unknown-b0-46-fc-9a-00-83
Information
Type: Generic Device
Connected To: ethport4 (Ethernet)
Addressing
Physical Address: b0:46:fc:9a:00:83
IP Address Assignment: Unknown
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Connection Sharing
There is no game or service assigned to this device.
I had rebooted the SureSignal and plugged it into Ethernet 4.  Do I need to enable DHCP to allow the router to assign an IP address to the SureSignal automatically or if Status is "inactive" is my SureSignal not working?  Sorry about all the questions, thank you for your help and btw it feels like I am talking in a foreign language!
Anotherone
Champion

The modem/router should do it automatically. Once the Sure Signal has booted, unplug the ethernet connection from Port 4 and try another port just in case port 4 is faulty, obviously don't use the port your computer is plugged into.
It should give an IP address for the device something like 192.168.1.65  the last 2 digits may be different depending on what other devices you have.
Edit: If you have a spare ethernet cable, try that as well, in case the cable is iffy for some reason.
fairygodmother0

Thank you so much.  I tried the original cable (we were already trying a new one) on Port 1 (it didn't recognise it on Port 3) and am getting this info:
Unknown-b0-46-fc-9a-00-83
Information
Type: Generic Device
Connected To: ethport1 (Ethernet)
Addressing
Physical Address: b0:46:fc:9a:00:83
IP Address Assignment: DHCP
IP Address: 192.168.1.73
Always use the same IP address: No
DHCP Lease Time: 0 days, 23:58:42
Connection Sharing
There is no game or service assigned to this device.
Looks like a great improvement as Status is active and it has an IP address but the last bit of the Vodafone email reads:
"Manually configure your router to allow port-forwarding.
In most cases, routers support a system called Universal Plug-n-Play (UPnP), which sets up port-forwarding for you automatically. If you've got a complicated network setup, or a complex router, you may need to enter these settings manually.
Please see the following for a list of IP addresses and port numbers that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address. For instructions on how to do this, we recommend you contact your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or refer to the default guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com.
DSL Protocols
You will need to confirm that the broadband connection is using the PPPoA (Point-to-Point Protocol over ATM ) rather than PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet)  as the sure signal will only currently work with PPPoA. You will need to speak to your ISP to confirm the protocol, alternatively you can check your ISP's website.
Destination IP Addresses:
212.183.131.128/26
Ports and Protocols:
Port Number
8    TCP    UDP    Unassigned 
50    TCP    UDP    Remote Mail Checking Protocol 
53    TCP    UDP    Domain Name System (DNS) 
67        UDP    Bootstrap Protocol (BOOTP) Server; also used by Dynamic Host                    Configuration Protocol (DHCP RX) 
68        UDP    Bootstrap Protocol (BOOTP) Client; also used by Dynamic Host Configuration                                        Protocol (DHCP TX) 
123        UDP    Network Time Protocol (NTP)-used for time synchronization 
500        UDP    Internet Security Association and Key Management Protocol (ISAKMP) 
1723    TCP    UDP    Microsoft Point-to-Point Tunnelling Protocol (PPTP) 
4500        UDP    IPSec NAT Traversal 
33434 - 33445    UDP    Traceroute for IP location check and bandwidth estimation 
Check your MTU settings.
Log into your router admin page and find the location of the MTU field. This varies depending on the make and model so you'll need to look for it.
Change the value of the MTU size to 1464.
Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot.
Please note that in the above list of IP addresses, the notation "212.183.131.128/26" means the complete range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191
Your router also needs to assign the Sure Signal with a DNS (Domain Name Server) address via DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol)."
I feel like I am asking you to do rocket science but you have been so helpful so far I am just crossing my fingers that this is mostly guff!
Anotherone
Champion

I have absolutely no idea about the details of the Vodafone Sure Signal but some of those suggested changes horrify me eg MTU.
If it worked before it doesn't need that I'm thinking. Has it worked before on this 582n?
Anyway, I doubt I can help further, it needs someone who knows about Vodafone Sure Signal setup. Go to your first post (soon) and click Modify at the top of it and edit the Title.
Remove DHCP and put in Vodafone Sure Signal, that should attract some attention from those that know.
fairygodmother0

Fantastic help, thank you so much  Smiley Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Vodafone SureSignal no longer working?

I wasn't going to interfere whilst you were handling it AO , but I will try and help further now.
Hi  fairygodmother00,
Basically you shouldn't need to do any of that configuration that VF suggest. The TG582n does support UPnP and should do it all automatically.
Now that the SS has got an IP address, I would suggest leaving it connected for a while and see if it sorts itself out, they often do!.
If after an hour or so it hasn't decided to work, can you post back with the status of the lights on it ?
Also, an answer to AO's question
Has it worked before on this 582n?
would be useful.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

I would leave it 24 hours Wink
When I used O2 (same router) there was the occasional complaint in the forum about a Sure Signal not working, invariably the next day there would be a post saying it's started working again. These thing's do seem to be troublesome and take a long time to get up and running.
A couple of thing which may be worth while
1) in the routers network settings for the SS, tick "always use the same IP address"
2) If after 24 hours, it's still not working I would try Vodafone's suggestion of changing the MTU setting. I haven't heard this one before, but as the SS apparently uses a VPN connection that suggestion does make sense. Shout up if it come to this and you need help.
fairygodmother0

OOH, excited by offers of help - thank you all!  Not sure who I am replying to but, MisterW, have left it since 2pm.  Yes, it worked fine when we first plugged it in in early September, worked until the beginning of November (roughly).
The only light on is the red bar on the right hand side, which is just power, I think.  Intermittently the far left icon lights up (a picture of circle with an arrow going around it, internet?) but not for long.  It glows on and off for a while and then gives up (I know the feeling). 
npr, amazingly I managed to notice a "configure" option and tick "always use the same IP address" Cheesy
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I assume nothing changed on your router or Plusnet account in Nov ?
My guess is that it's a SS problem, I've seen similar reports in the past. The forwarding of ports is not necessary, as to changing the MTU, well the VF forum suggests 1500 so I think they're just plucking numbers out of the air.
I'd go with NPR's suggestion first and leave it for 24 hrs.
We'll see how it is tomorrow..
In the meantime you might want  to check the vf forum thread here http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Light-one-on-light-two-flashing/td-p/495774/page...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: MisterW

In the meantime you might want  to check the vf forum thread here http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Light-one-on-light-two-flashing/td-p/495774/page...

In that thread suport are asking users to do a tracert to IP 212.183.133.177.
It fails for the users who've tried the tracert and it fails here.  Undecided
Doesn't give me much confidence.........
fairygodmother0

OK, MisterW and npr, will wait 24 hrs, thank you.  Umm, yes, something did happen on my Plusnet account but I hope it didn't affect the broadband.  I idiotically set up an Unlimited account thinking it was including Broadband and calls but it was line only so got huge bills as my husband used it for work calls from home.  I kept topping up the credit and eventually worked out that I needed to change the plan.  Unfortunately before that kicked in they emailed me at 10pm to warn me they were going to cut me off and did so at 6am the next morning (setting off my house alarm!).  I am crossing my fingers that this will not have affected anything ...
Just going to read the forum thread for homework, ta muchly for all your work, it is VERY much appreciated
Anotherone
Champion

Just let me be clear about this, your phone line is with Plusnet? They emailed you at 10pm and cut of what exactly at 6am the following morning?
Had you discussed whatever the situation was, with them before this email?