Did you mean: 

Vodafone Sure Signal

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Vodafone Sure Signal

would a wireshark capture help?  

No, but thanks for offering. I think we have all the information now.
Just to summarize:-
Once certain that the SureSignal is correctly registered with Vodafone.
Using a PlusNet TG582n, from normal default settings all we believe you need to do is enable VPN support using
telnet and the following commands
connection unbind application PPTP port 1723
connection unbind application IKE
saveall

Then plug the SS into a spare LAN port and let it sort itself out.
I think the only unknown at the moment is whether it will work on a 37.152.xxx.xxx IP address.
Edit: Oh, and make sure the PlusNet firewall is OFF  ( or maybe LOW )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

From the sound of this the instructions here may be wrong?
http://community.plus.net/library/settings/using-vodafone-sure-signal-with-plusnets-thomsontechnicol...
Would someone who has a sure signal be able to tell us what's wrong there and we'll get it corrected?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
David_W
Rising Star

I've set firewall to Low (from Off) and it still works so having it on Low has no effect.
@ Chris - I can't tell you if that's correct or incorrect, I didn't use that method!  From what I can tell, just the telnet commands are enough to get it working as turning DMZ off had no effect etc.  I'll try and reset the router back to factory settings (hopefully it'll clear the telnet commands too) and see if it continues to "just work".
/edit - Factory reset (button on the back) and after connecting to the internet my SS device is working perfectly fine.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Chris,
I think that guide was written for the TG585. Those instructions are basically doing the port forwarding. The SureSignal will use UPnP to do that itself as long as the router supports it, which the TG582n seems to, and so all of that manual setup is unnecessary.
The only thing with the TG582n is that VPN needs to be enabled using telnet as indicated in my previous posts, this was not needed with the TG585.
I don't have a TG582n but maybe DavidW could give you some screenshots if necessary.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

David_W
Rising Star

If the factory reset removed the earlier telnet commands then as far as I can see it just works with the TG582n, I have no idea how to factory reset the SS itself to check if it will set up correctly, deregistering it with Voda may do that (it would have to configure itself again) but I have no idea if I'd be able to register the device again afterwards.  Of course, if the reset didn't remove the telnet commands I'll happily try telnet commands to remove the earlier commands and see if the SS continues to function properly.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

David,
There should be a simple way to see if the factory reset removed the telnet commands.
Could you possibly Telnet into the router and type the following command:-

connection bindlist
and then post the output please
That should tell us whether the unbind pptp & ike are still active or whether they have been lost in the factory reset.
Thanks

David_W
Rising Star

{Administrator}=>connection bindlist
Application  Proto      Portrange   Flags
PPTP         tcp        1723        IPv4-only
ESP          esp                    IPv4-only
AH           ah                     IPv4-only
IKE          udp        500         IPv4-only
SIP          udp        5060        IPv4-only snooping: enabled translate-predi
t: enabled
CU/SeeMe     udp        7648        IPv4-only
RAUDIO(PNA)  tcp        7070        IPv4-only
RTSP         tcp        554         IPv4-only
ILS          tcp        389         IPv4-only
ILS          tcp        1002        IPv4-only
H323         tcp        1720        IPv4-only
IRC          tcp        6660-6669   IPv4-only
FTP          tcp        21
JABBER       tcp        5222        IPv4-only
JABBER       tcp        15222       IPv4-only
DHCP         udp        67          IPv4-only
CONE(UDP)    udp        69
CONE(UDP)    udp        88
CONE(UDP)    udp        3074
CONE(UDP)    udp        3478-3479

Looks like they are still there.
/edit - didn't the unbind command remove the bindings not add them?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Certainly does, doesn't it!. I would have expected a factory reset to put them back but wasn't sure.
Well it looks like Chris's guide could be quite short for the TG582n 'Plug it in to a LAN port and away you go...'  Smiley
Actually, looking at the comment from Matt on that guide, that's basically what he's saying.
I'm sort of surprised that it works on the TG582n without the connection unbinding since this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102798.0.html established that there were problems with VPN without the connection unbinding. Certainly an IPSEC VPN wasn't possible until the unbind IKE was performed. Maybe the PlusNet branded firmware on the TG582n is ok for PPTP and that's what the SS uses.

cafemanana

Thank you so much MisterW for Yr assistance. Voda 3rd line Tech Support say that the SS is malfunctioning and have taken it away for repai (/ replacement).....personally i think it was ok since problem seemed to be at the Voda end.. I will post back as soon as it is returned in @ 10 days as to whether it works.....thanks once again....excellent feedback.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

No problem. We'll wait and see if the new one works... Smiley

cafemanana

Mister W, Vodafone replaced the SS1 for a new SS2 device since their 3rd line tech support reckoned the SS1 was faulty (personally i don't believe it was faulty, just no longer compatible with new tech).
I registered the SS2 against a new Pay as you go number so that it was in no way associated with the old account at Voda end, checked to make sure that there was no port forwarding on the router and that DCHP was enabled. I plugged the SS2 in, waited 10 minutes and everything works fine............no firewall on the router (don't want to tempt fate at this stage by enabling the firewall to see if it still works).
Thank you for all yr help.....I think that this was my first ever use of any kind of forum and am amazed at how helpful and knowledgeable people can be.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks for letting us know. I can understand why you're reluctant to enable the firewall just at the moment but you really do want to enable it before too long. The router firewall provides useful protection and 'hides' you from probing from the internet.