Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vodafone Sure Signal

cafemanana

Vodafone Sure Signal

Hi,
am very new to this.
My Vodafone Sure Signal (SS) is not working with my Plus Net Broadband / Technicolor TG582n router.
I have tried to configure / set up port forwarding as per previous post, but still no joy.
All seems to point toward need to set up as a new game / device, remove fire wall, create a static IP address using the MAC from the SS, something to do with DMZ and DHCP?
Don't understand where / how.......can anyone give me clear (like you are talking to someone with no idea what you are saying) step by step instructions as to how to confgure this from the point of logging into the router through to having the SS working please?
26 REPLIES 26
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Vodafone Sure Signal

I suspect its nothing to do with port forwarding or static IP's , more to do with enabling VPN traffic on the TG582n. The SS uses an IPSEC VPN to connect to the Vodafone network and by default the TG582n is not configured correctly to allow that. See this thread here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102798.0.html.
Basically you need to telnet into the router to access the CLI and issue some commands to allow VPN support.
This 'command line stuff' is usually done by 'telnet', first you need to make sure this command is enabled in your version of Windows, for Vista and Windows 7 you'll liely need to go into the control panel then into 'programs and features' then select 'turn windows features on or off' and look for and enable 'Telnet Client'.
Once you've done this you'll need a command prompt (search for 'cmd.exe' if you can't find it).
From there, type in 'Telnet 192.168.1.254' (at this point I'm assuming the router IP address is the same as other TG routers), you'll then need to enter the router's login name and password.  At his point you are talking directly to the router's 'command line interface' and the relevant commands from MisterW can be entered.

once you've gained access to the CLI then input the commands as detailed on the thread I linked to
connection unbind application PPTP port 1723
connection unbind application IKE
saveall

That should sort it hopefully.
If you have any queries then post back.
Actually could you post back anyway and let us know if the SS works ok after the changes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cafemanana

Thank you for that, am trying it now - followed by a reboot and a wait......should I also do the port forwarding? would this help or may it hinder if in conjunction with your telnet proceedure?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'd not do any port forwarding for now, lets see what enabling the VPN support does. AFAIK you shouldn't need any port forwarding.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cafemanana

No good. I'm afraid..........24 hours later and no change........power light is on and light two blinks occasionally  but nothing else......had also reset the ss after doing the telnet stuff.....any more thoughts greatly appreciated....
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Oh dear!, I had hoped that would sort it.
I'm just looking at the SS troubleshooting guide , but while I'm doing that, a couple of questions ...
I assume you're new to PlusNet.
Has the SS worked previously with a different ISP/Router ? if so what model router was it ?
Is your PlusNet firewall set to High ? it needs to be OFF or LOW see here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall ( you'll need to login with your plusnet username/password )
NB if you have to change the firewall setting then you will need to disconnect/reconnect your broadband connection for the new setting to take effect.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Could you also check that UPnP is enabled on the TG582n. Select ToolBox from the routers web interface and it should show the UPnP status under the Game & Application Sharing. Actually at this point its worth checking the extened security option as well.  Select Game & Application Sharing , select Configure and make sure that Use UPnP is checked, Use Extended Security is unchecked and click Apply.
Lets see if that makes any difference...
Edit I just re-read the whole thread again and noticed this
I have tried to configure / set up port forwarding as per previous post, but still no joy.
can you make sure that any port forwarding you did previously is removed. The SS should really be able to setup any forwarding it needs using UPnP. 

cafemanana

ok will do re. port forwarding........
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Dont forget the firewall settings in reply #5 above.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Should none of the above work, then
I've also just noticed this
It can also occur if the Vodafone service is not able to properly geo-locate the IP address from which you’re connecting. Vodafone’s GSM license agreement requires that it only operates within territories for which its license is valid. This is the mechanism that stops (or should stop ;o) you taking your Sure Signal abroad and routing your mobile traffic back to the Vodafone UK network over the Internet.
in this link http://www.notsosuresignal.com/sure-signal/diagnostics/sure-signal-solid-power-light-and-slowly-flas... regarding SS troubleshooting.
Now PlusNet have recently added a 'new' range of IP addresses we know gives problems with IPlayer which doesn't believe they are in the UK
It's a recognised problem where you're assigned an IP address from one of our new ranges (37.152.xxx.xxx). Disconnect/reconnect until you're assigned an IP outside of this range and you should find that you no longer encounter the problem. We're doing what we can to have the problematic IPs recognised as being from the UK.

See check what public IP address you've got , if its a 37.152.xxx.xxx then a disconnect/reconnect until you get a different one might be worth a try

David_W
Rising Star

Quick (and possibly silly) question, have you set up the device with Vodafone?
This link should possibly work, hopefully.  My own suresignal device arrived today and I thought I'd registered it but hadn't, I skipped adding the numbers and just registered, now waiting to see if it works (I've stuck it into the DMZ but will work backwards if it works).
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@DavidW, It's not a silly question at all
BTW Do you have a PlusNet TG582n router ? be interested to hear if your SS works.

David_W
Rising Star

I do indeed from the IPV6 trials (brilliant little router).  My SS does work using the following procedure:
Register device on Vodafones website
Plug device into port 3 on the router (only one it would fit in, my Ethernet cables have big sockets)
Use the telnet instructions given above
Put the device into DMZ (optional, may not be required but it's what I did)
Vodaphone then configure the device to work with your primary mobile phone number, the white circle light will flash a while then become solid when it's complete (voda will text you when it's set up correctly).
I then disabled DMZ and the device is still working (full 3G bars).  PN's firewall is set to Off.  UPNP is on.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks for posting back.
Use the telnet instructions given above

That's what I suspected you would need to do. AFAIK the SS establishes a VPN connection to Vodafone, not sure whether its PPTP or IPSEC. We know from other threads that the TG582n as supplied has VPN support disabled for some reason and that the telnet commands will enable VPN connections to be made.
At least we know now that with UPnP ( which should be enabled by default ) on the TG582 that the SS is able to forward any ports it needs.
BTW did you have to disable Extended Security ?
Oh! and what range is your IP in ? ( don't post the complete IP just the first 2 numbers will do )

David_W
Rising Star

I haven't disabled anything, just the steps from above, would a wireshark capture help?  The SS can be plugged into a router directly or into an ethernet port, I should be able to plug it into my laptop and wireshark what the SS actually does, in theory, assuming wireshark works on Windows 8, could actually be easier on a laptop, ignore the wireless adapter and just log the ethernet port, could ensure it's being given the correct priority too.
My IP range is 81.174.x.x, it is a UK based one.