cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vodafone Sure Signal V3

MrBones

Vodafone Sure Signal V3

Hi All
I'm now on my second Vodafone Sure Signal V3 and neither of them have worked. I am on the Plus Net Vodafone @ home contract using a Netgear DGN2200V3 wireless router.
I have given the VSS (Vodafone sure signal) a static internal IP & Vodafone have asked me to port forward the following TCP UDP ports 8, 50, 123, 500, 4500 & 1723 which I have done on my router. But I can’t get Plusnet to do the same for me.
Vodafone insist that the problem is Plusnets, but having talked with the Plusnet technical support they say they are unable to open or forward the ports. I have tried via the members area of the plusnet web site to change my firewall settings but it constantly says that It’s not available due to technical problems and to try again in a few minutes.
Plusnet technical support inform me that I can’t change my firewall settings due to being on the V@H contract which seems rubbish.
Does anyone have any idea as to how I can get around this as Plusnet advised me this was the place to come!
Thanks in advance…
43 REPLIES 43
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Vodafone Sure Signal V3

Hi and Welcome to the forums.
We've seen a few people have problems with the SS and usually they are sorted by just leaving it connected and waiting... it can take a few hours ( even a day ! ) for it to sort itself out.
You shouldn't need any port forwarding the SS will sort it out using uPnP which I'm pretty sure the DGN2200 supports.
As to the PlusNet firewall, I'm not sure how that is affected by a V@H contract. Normal PlusNet users can view and set the firewall on the members portal at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall.
Do V@H users not have access to the members portal ?
If you can get to the firewall settings then ensure it is OFF or LOW ( if you have to change it then you will need to disconnect and reconnect your ppp connection for it to take effect ).
Then remove any port forwarding and reset and plug in the SS and leave it for a while.
Hope that helps, post back with any questions

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrBones

Hi MisterW
Thanks for the swift response. The SS has now been left for over two weeks and I am now on my second one so you can understand my frustration.
I seem unable to access the firewall section of the members area and have no idea why, I just get the same error each time saying "We were unable to complete your requested action. This may be the result of a temporary fault.
Please try again in a few minutes."
I might check the uPnP settings on the router see if anything there seems amiss!
Thanks again.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Sounds a bit odd that you can't access the firewall settings. We need to confirm the firewall settings because they may well be the problem.
There is a PlusNet Digital Care team ( separate  from the CSC ) whose job it is to monitor these forums. They are, quite often, more knowledgeable than the CSC on 'out of the ordinary' situations but unfortunately don't work weekends.
If you can hang on until tomorrow I'm sure one of them will spot this post and advise on the Firewall access for V@H accounts ?
In the meantime I'd certainly give it a try removing all port forwarding and see if the SS can sort itself out.
There is a good site here http://www.notsosuresignal.com/sure-signal/diagnostics/ about diagnosing connection problems with the SS.
Edit: If you post the status of the lights on the SS then that might give some clue as to the problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
There's no firewall component for v@h customers, so all ports are open - we aren't blocking any to my knowledge.
Have you run checks and found they're definitely blocked at our side of things?
ETA: If you haven't, please can you try http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to see if the relevant ports are open?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks for that Matt, interesting to know there is no Firewall control for V@H accounts.
These SS things seem to either work first time or be very troublesome. At least we know now it shouldn't be any PlusNet firewall that's causing the problem.

MrBones

Hi thanks for the responses.
I've tried the ports on the site you gave me and get the message:
"Error: I could not see your service on 46.208.63.92 on port (500)
Reason: Connection timed out"
I assume that means it's closed. I've tried it on other port check sites and get similar results or get told it's closed/blocked.
I can't understand what is blocking the following TCP UDP ports: 8, 50, 123, 500, 4500 & 1723

Unless I have configured my router incorrectly (which I don't think I have) I can only think that the problem is with Vodafone.
I've given the SS a ststic IP.
I've forwarded the required ports to that IP.
I've put that IP in the DMZ.
I've even turned off all my firewalls Windows and Zone alarm to double check. although by rights the PC configuration shouldn't make any difference to the SS.
Something somewhere is blocking it but I don't know what.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated  Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I've even turned off all my firewalls Windows and Zone alarm to double check. although by rights the PC configuration shouldn't make any difference to the SS.
Correct, the PC configuration will have absolutely no effect.
"Error: I could not see your service on 46.208.63.92 on port (500)
Reason: Connection timed out"
I assume that means it's closed. I've tried it on other port check sites and get similar results or get told it's closed/blocked.
I can't understand what is blocking the following TCP UDP ports: 8, 50, 123, 500, 4500 & 1723
It doesn't necessarily mean they are closed, just that nothing is listening on those ports. That may well be the case, even if the SS was working.
Since we have established from Matt that there is no PlusNet firewall active for V@H customers, can I suggest that we start again from scratch...
remove all port forwarding and DMZ configuration from the router ( maybe even do a factory reset? )
Then plug in the SS and record the status of the lights as described on the notsosuresignal site.
Post those back on here and I'll try and help to understand where its failing.

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, my setup isn't identical to yours but I have a three home signal box routing through two DGN2200 V3s - one acting as a router / WAP and the other as a router / modem and it worked perfectly without any configuration required for the routers or PN firewall (once I'd inserted the SIM properly which was the wrong way round from the factory). However, without knowing the differences in operation between the three box and Vodafone Sure Signal I don't know how helpful this is!
I've attatched a gratuitous picture of the router / WAP and three box!
MrBones

Hi Guys
Thanks for the responses.
MisterW - sound advice but I am a little reluctant to do a factory reset on the router. I do backup my settings on there, but I feel that is a last resort albeit one that I'm getting close to.
Ben  - thanks for the information and especially the photo. I had never thought of wall mounting the router and my mind is now buzzing with ideas! Especially as it sits on a side board and doesn't really look right.
I am going to explore some other avenues via vodafone and will come back to you.
Thanks again guys.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The DGN2200s have rather nice mounting holes so you can mount the router in any orientation and I have no overheating problems as the vents aren't on the 'bottom'... However, the Three box is blue-tac'd on!
will2012
Grafter

I appreciate that I must be missing something but I dont see the point of these devices. From what I read on the Vodafone website (I wanted to know what they were) they're like your own personal mobile phone mast. Why not just connect the phone directly to the router via wifi? Or if their job is to pick up mobile phone calls and send them out via the web as you have no signal at home, why not just use the home phone? You must have a line rented if you have broadband, or use voip?
I fully appreciate there must be a good reason for having them, I just dont understand or see what it is. Can someone please educate me?
To clarify, I dont like mobile phones anyway. I carry one for emergencys when I dont forget to charge it, so im not genned-up on their features!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Basically, if you have poor mobile coverage at home, they enable your mobile to work as normal by providing a local mobile cell signal which then routes any calls via the broadband connection.
Reason for use:-
Say for instance you have a company mobile, you sometimes work at home, but the network coverage is poor. You may not wish to use  your home landline phone for company business especially if its customer support related. The suresignal device enables the mobile to work as normal, no need to use the landline.

will2012
Grafter

Hi,
Thank you. Yes, why would you want to pay for work calls? I knew there would be a use for it I had not thought of.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

In my case it wouldn't be the costs, as that could be reclaimed, it would be more the availablity to customers of my home phone number.